Crash into store injures 5, driver charged
PASADENA, TX (KTRK) -- A woman was in jail Saturday after an overnight crash at a cell phone store sent five people, including two children, to the hospital.
Police say 40-year-old Michelle Galvan was behind the wheel around 8pm Friday when her pickup truck ran into the Cricket store on East Southmore near Burke in Pasadena.
Authorities now believe they know what caused the accident.
The Cricket store is temporarily closed. The walls are boarded up and the door is locked until repairs can be made.
Francisco Hernandez and other employees were working at another Cricket store Saturday, but they can't forget what happened the night before.
"I just felt all the glass coming on top of me," he said.
Police say Galvan was driving her pickup truck recklessly and hit at least five different vehicles in a nearby parking lot.
As officers were responding, they saw her plow right into the Cricket store, hitting a store employee and a family of four.
A six-year-old girl was pinned under the truck.
"She was very sick. She could not breathe," store employee Bernanda Hernandez said.
That girl was taken to the hospital by Life Flight. Her sibling and parents were also hospitalized.
Police say Galvan was under the influence of prescription drugs. She is charged with two counts of intoxication assault.
"She was not crying or saying sorry about what she did or something," Bernanda Hernandez said of Galvan. "She was just like nothing happened."
It was a casual attitude these employees can't understand.
"I cannot sleep. I was falling asleep, then I woke up and started crying. For me, like I said, as a mom, something happens to me, so I think about my sons," Bernanda Hernandez said.
The employees are hoping to help those hurt, even as they rebuild their own business.
"If there is something that we can do to help, we're here," Francisco Hernandez said.
The employees say their co-worker who was injured in the crash was released from the hospital and was resting at home Saturday evening.
There is no update yet on the conditions of the four other victims.
Witnesses say Galvan was not injured.
- Six UH students reportedly robbed on campus
- HPD: Husband dies in attempted murder-suicide
- Local missionaries hurt in rollover wreck in Africa
- Law enforcement training program suspended
- 5 Things to Know for Today
- Woman who went for smoke outside found dead on porch
- Massive fire breaks out at NE Harris Co. home 23 min ago
- Beyonce's holiday surprise
- McDonald's employee injured during attempted robbery 50 min ago
- Free Stuff Friday: Holiday happenings this weekend
- Woman walking dog near Montrose sexually assaulted
- Coloring book featuring Ted Cruz selling fast
- Multiple people stabbed after Denver football game
- Boy's mouth duct taped for talking in class