Police: Girl, 6, drowns in apartment complex pool on Houston's south side
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A day at the pool turned tragic for a local family on Houston's south side Friday when a young girl drowned in an apartment complex pool.
It was at a pool in the Oakmoor apartment complex on Oakmoor Parkway near Acaciawood Woodway where neighbors say the 6-year-old little girl jumped in the water and never came up.
"They said she had been at the bottom of the pool at least five or six minutes," said neighbor Vincent Lewis.
He says his children were in the pool when the accident happened. A large sign here indicates no lifeguards on duty. And police say the young victim was at the complex visiting relatives who were lounging by the pool when the girl drowned.
"My daughter was out there with her, my two daughters, they said they looked down, they saw her in the water, and they started screaming for somebody to come get her, and they jumped in and got her out," Lewis said.
Eyewitnesses say several neighbors rushed to the pool trying to revive the child until emergency workers showed up.
"Everyone was trying to help her. The ambulance was doing CPR. Everyone was crying, praying," said neighbor Ann Maria Silva.
The little girl was rushed to Texas Children's Hospital, but it was too late. The child didn't make it.
"When they carried her, she just looked lifeless. I don't know, it was sad. It brought me to tears," Silva said.
The medical examiner's office identified the child as Jasmin Brown.
Homicide detectives are interviewing witnesses and say the investigation is ongoing.
local, demond fernandez
- Medical examiner: 24 dead in Oklahoma twister
- Katy Fire Chief indicted in Valium fraud case
- Alligator found between homes in Fort Bend County
- NFL to vote on Super Bowl hosts
- Child abducted walking home from school in Pasadena
- Fight at bar ends in fatal shooting in NW Harris Co. 41 min ago
- Hot and humid with chances of rain today
- Photos: Dancing with the Stars Finals
- otrc: No more Oscars for Seth MacFarlane
- abcnews: 'Very graphic' devastation at OK elem. school
- Video: OK tornado caught on cell phone
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos