Residents discuss Hobby Airport expansion
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A community meeting was held Sunday to allow residents to share their opinions about a proposed expansion of Hobby Airport.
Southwest Airlines wants international flights from Central and South America to depart from Hobby.
The Houston Airport System says the move would bring jobs and billions of dollars to the Houston area, but a study commissioned by United Airlines says the move would cause Houston to lose money.
People who live and work in the area gathered Sunday to voice their concerns about the proposed expansion.
Representatives from the city spoke at the community meeting, which was sponsored by the Texas Organizing Project.
Many participants wanted to know whether an expansion would lead to infrastructure improvements and job training.
At the end of the meeting, the Texas Organizing Project conducted a poll to gauge support for the proposal.
The results will be released Tuesday.
- Shots fired during armored car robbery
- Neighbors upset over gun range near homes
- Sketch released in murder of women found dumped
- Murder suspect vomits during graphic testimony
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Truck slams into fast food restaurant 14 min ago
- Suspect arrested wearing Cookie Monster onesie
- Ex-teacher accused of sex with student
- Police: Drunk man demanded bed to sleep 56 min ago
- Woman found living with dead spouse for month 53 min ago
- Two sent to hospital after gas leak at HISD middle school
- 'We are burying a body,' suspects tell police
- Suspect in violent House of Pies robbery charged
- Sandy Hook shooter's dad wishes son was never born