Wilbur the pig wins his battle versus homeowners association in Spring
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Big developments in one family's fight over a pet pig named Wilbur. The family has been in a court battle with their homeowners association over whether the pig stays or goes.
Thousands of people have showed their support for the family on Wilbur's Facebook page, and today a judge made the official decision.
Two words: Wilbur won. Not a huge court case with millions of dollars on the line, but for a Spring family, the stakes couldn't have been higher.
Wilbur is a pot-bellied pig that the Sardo family has had for a year and a half since Wilbur was a 7-week-old piglet. They live in a Spring subdivision and Wilbur is primarily a house pet. When the homeowners association was told there was a pig in the neighborhood, the Sardos were told to get rid of him or face a lawsuit and a huge fine.
Instead, the Sardos sued, claiming that Wilbur was not livestock, but a pet.
In court Monday, the HOA argued a pig is a pig and while not specifically named in the deed restrictions, it's not your ordinary house pet.
At the end of the hearing Monday afternoon, the judge ruled that while the purpose of a homeowners association is to preserve the appearance of a neighborhood, it can also overstep its bounds. He then ruled that Wilbur can stay where he lives -- mostly indoors -- with his family and a dog.
The Sardos couldn't be happier -- even crying as they left the courtroom -- ending a year-long battle with their HOA.
"Relief, when he said that. And he has his web page and he has the most unbelievable supporters and I thank all of you out there," said Missy Sardo, Wilbur's owner.
The homeowners association attorney left without comment. But at one house in Spring, there is much celebrating.
Look for Wilbur who has his own web page at WilburSardo.com.
spring, local, deborah wrigley
- Large funnel cloud touches down near OK City 26 min ago
- 1 arrested, 3 others sought in Alief murders 20 min ago
- Man charged in death of mail carrier 48 min ago
- Dreamliner returns to skies with flight from Houston 35 min ago
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Entire floor of federal building downtown evacuated 1 min ago
- Suspected chop shop raided in NW Harris County 8 min ago
- Ray Manzarek, founding member of The Doors, dies 17 min ago
- Man sought in dollar store robbery
- Jodi Arias' attorneys ask to withdraw from case
- Photos: Billboard Music Awards from Las Vegas
- otrc: 'Anchorman 2' teaser trailer released
- abcnews: Victoria's Secret rejects 'survivor' bra
- Video: Huge tornado caught on camera in Kansas
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos