Dad accused of forcefully attempting to cut son's hair against his religious beliefs
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A Houston father is accused of forcefully attempting to cut his son's hair despite the fact that the act violated their religious beliefs.
Court documents state Atamvir Singh went to the residence where his 12-year-old son and his mother lived to cut his son's hair. The boy says his mother, who is separated from Singh, objected because cutting his hair is against their religious beliefs.
The boy told investigators that Singh forced him to the floor with his hand around his neck, and that Singh tried to cut his hair with clippers while holding the boy by his neck, making it difficult for him to breathe. He also said Singh struck him in the chest.
According to court documents, the mother went to get a neighbor and they returned to the residence. The neighbor says he heard a struggle taking place, kicked open the bathroom door and saw Singh holding the boy to the floor with the clippers in his other hand. He said he told Singh to let the boy go, but Singh allegedly refused. The boy was then able to break free.
Police say the mother is in fear for her life and has requested a protective order against Singh.
Singh, 43, is charged with injury to a child. No bond has been set.
- HPD: Dead man found at grow house 10 min ago
- Driver charged with murder after deadly police chase
- Sketch of rapist suspect released
- Police: W. Houston apartment fire was no accident
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Man tells deputies he shot his wife
- Liberty Co. jailer accused of smuggling drugs to inmates 31 min ago
- Tax break weekend in Texas for Energy Star items
- JJ Watt 'MegaWatt' shoes will soon hit store shelves
- Texas rapper indicted, controlled substance count
- Galveston leaders to meet over Ike housing story
- otrc: Brad Pitt screens 'World War Z'
- abcnews: Bars accused of serving rubbing alcohol
- Video: 'Captain American' car stolen from movie set 47 min ago
- Pilot captures video of volcano eruption
47 min ago
- Aftermath of 5.7-magnitude quake in...
47 min ago