Young girl struck by car in SW Houston
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A young girl is in the hospital after she was struck by a car early this morning.
The driver was traveling northbound on Concourse Drive when police say two little girls ran into the middle of the street. They were believed to be going to their bus stop.
One of those girls, a 7-year-old, was hit by the car. She suffered head trauma. We're told she was unconscious at one point and that a neighbor performed CPR before the girl was taken to Texas Children's Hospital in critical condition.
Police say the driver was going the speed limit, between 20 and 30 mph. They say she was not impaired, and she was not cited.
The driver was too upset to talk to us, but we did speak to both her aunt and a witness, who said this crash was unavoidable.
"She was pretty much hysterical, because she just hit a baby in the street," recalled Terrie, the driver's aunt. "She didn't really say anything. She said just said, 'Aunt T, she ran out in the street and I couldn't stop. You know, I couldn't brake fast enough.'"
Witness Rose Duncan said, "The other kids were across the street over there, so it looked like she was just trying to go with the other kids."
Police have not found the other little girl who they believe also ran across the street, but they believe she is OK.
It's not clear if there were any parents with the girls, but witnesses agree this was a terrible, tragic accident for everyone involved.
- Man shot outside restaurant drives family to safety
- Severe weather clears, leaves damage behind
- Houston mayor weighs in on 'Duck Dynasty' feud
- Houston couple dead in apparent murder-suicide
- NASA astronauts complete first spacewalk
- Constable: Teen admits shooting out car windows
- Hospital: Teen shot at Colorado school dies
- Chase restricts cards affected by Target breach
- New Houston light rail line opens for business
- 1 dead, 1 injured in drive-by double shooting
- Katy blows late lead, falls to Cedar Hill in title game
- Allen tops Pearland 63-28, defends 5A D-I title
- Aledo beats Brenham 38-10 for 4th title in 5 years
- Things you didn't know about reindeer