Deputies: Revenge against boy's dad was motive for woman in child's kidnapping
raw video: Boy found safe in police custody
STAFFORD, TX (KTRK) -- The woman accused of kidnapping a young boy for several hours earlier this week was apparently angry at the boy's father. That's according to investigators who say the woman and the child's father had previously had an affair.
Deputies say they don't remember a case with this many unexpected twists and turns. They tell us the suspect was motivated to get back at the boy's father -- her former lover.
As Kismat Momin appeared in court Wednesday morning, we obtained court documents that expose new details in the kidnapping for which she is accused. Investigators allege the abduction of nine-year-old Amsal Dhuka was to seek revenge against the boy's father.
Fort Bend County Sheriff's Office Chief Craig Brady explained, "He had about a three-year sexual relationship with the suspect. That relationship had ended sometime in the past."
Detectives say Momin met Amsal Monday as he got off the bus from school at the front of the apartment complex near Sugar Land where both live. She allegedly told him his parents sent her to pick him up.
Investigators say she drove with him for hours, all the way into Galveston County, only stopping to get him food, and for them to sleep. Court documents indicate that Momin told the boy that "gang members with guns were chasing them."
"I don't know what she intended to accomplish by simply taking the child," Brady said. "There's no indication that she intended to harm him."
Momin allegedly left the boy finally at a Muslim worship center in Stafford at about 6am Tuesday, more than 14 hours after he disappeared. Investigators now say she told her husband on Sunday of her plan to kidnap the boy, and that she informed him she had actually done it at about 6pm Monday. Though dozens of investigators and volunteers searched fruitlessly, investigators say Momin's husband didn't tell them she had Amsal until early Tuesday morning.
Momin's attorney would not field questions, saying only this:
"We maintain her innocence at this time," attorney Asif Sayani said. "There's nothing more we can say because there's still a pending investigation. That's all the comments we can give."
Investigators say Amsal's father suspected early on that Momin might be involved. He actually called her, but she denied it.
Momin remains in custody at the Fort Bend County Jail. Bond has been set at $125,000.
stafford, sugar land, local, kevin quinn
- Two women found dead in Galveston County 17 min ago
- Three bodies found in rubble of burned down home 18 min ago
- Malaysia Airlines says plane missing 40 min ago
- What's being done to keep carnival-goers safe?
- Jimmy Kimmel ready to film show in Austin 5 min ago
- Mom who drove minivan into ocean charged
- Teen in NW Harris Co. fight arrested after burglary
- Photos: Ladies' Night Out at RodeoHouston
- Man chasing $20 gets stuck in sewer for two days
- Mother of newborn found in dumpster charged
- Ft. Bend Co. girls softball league treasurer charged
- Last week's Houston food truck violations
- Ex-girlfriend testifies Olympican cheated on her
- Photos: Kardashians' fake home for sale