Mayor Parker reacts to Obama's support to same sex marriage
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- President Obama stepped into the middle of the culture war yesterday by declaring his support for gay marriage. The historic endorsement has a major impact in Houston, the largest city in the country to be run by an openly gay mayor.
The mayor tweeted yesterday afternoon, 'Wow got a call from the White House. The president has stepped up and stated his support for recognizing relationships like mine!'
President Barack Obama stated what he called his 'evolving stance' on gay marriage in an exclusive interview with ABC News.
The president says his family helped him change his mind, talking with his young daughters. He said it didn't occur to them that some of their friends' parents would be treated differently. We talked to those politically active in the Houston area about what this might mean for the 2012 election.
"This is just another distraction so folks won't focus on 8.1 percent unemployment, gas prices that are close to $4 a gallon, growth that is at two percent and an economy that is just dead on arrival," said Jared Woodfill with the Harris County Republicans.
"It doesn't become an issue. Now he can move on, to going back to the economy, to foreign policy, to national defense, all these more pressing issues that are affecting our nation," said Noel Freeman with the Houston Gay Lesbian Bisexual Transgender Caucus.
The president also stated that although he now supports gay marriage, that decision should be left to individual states. Thirty-one states have said no to same sex marriage.
president barack obama, local, elissa rivas
- Boy's mouth duct taped for talking in class
- Will the mascots remain the same?
- Recognize the guy in this sketch?
- Former Port of Houston IT director accused of theft
- Kim Jong Un's uncle executed as traitor
- Parents want justice for son's shooting death 39 min ago
- Accused stiletto heel killer out on bond 22 min ago
- What was interpreter REALLY signing
- Do you know this week's StopHoustonGangs.org fugitive? 21 min ago
- Bride accused of pushing husband off cliff pleads guilty
- NASA suspects bad valve for space station trouble
- Shoppers getting excuses instead of packages
- House approves budget bill; now goes to Senate 38 min ago
- 'Fake' interpreter: 'I was hallucinating'
- Tim Heller's weather forecast
1 min ago