Officers go to great heights for charity
GALVESTON, TX (KTRK) -- The Galveston Police Department and Shipley Do-Nuts are teaming up for a Law Enforcement Torch Run event to raise money for Special Olympics Texas.
Officers sat on the roof of Shipley's Donuts at 5401 Broadway between the hours of 7am and 11am on Thursday. The officers collected donations and had a goal of $400 apiece before they could come down from the roof. All proceeds go to the Special Olympics Texas.
Special Olympics is an international organization that changes lives by promoting understanding, acceptance, and inclusion of children and adults with intellectual disabilities. The Law Enforcement Torch Run is an event in which law enforcement agencies from around the state participate in an actual running event to carry the "Flame of Hope" to the Opening Ceremonies of the Special Olympics Texas Summer Games in Arlington.
The Galveston Police Department has a history of promoting awareness and raising funds for the Special Olympics Texas.
For more information on Special Olympics Texas and the Law Enforcement Torch run go to www.sotx.org. You can also donate by visiting http://www.firstgiving.com/fundraiser/michael-gray-4/galvestonpolice.
- Reliant Stadium may be changing names
- Two dead in apparent murder-suicide in Pasadena
- Employees shot outside Galleria area restaurant
- 2 NYC buildings collapse in explosion, 2 dead
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- River Oaks residents fighting to stop office building 13 min ago
- Rice U police officers cleared of wrongdoing in man's arrest
- Mateo states his case for cupcakes for dinner
- 'I'm dying' - Crocodile Hunter's final words
- Woman charged after allegedly kicking son in Walmart
- Girl gets finger stuck in recalled Easy Bake Oven
- Woman takes out frustration on Pennsylvania reporter
- Wrestler hugs opponent's dad after loss
- NJ honor student who sued parents returns home