HPD: Missing boy found safe; suspect in custody
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A scare is over and Amber Alert canceled after a missing 4-year-old was found safe, but several questions remain about his disappearance.
Police issued the Amber Alert for 4-year-old Michael Rangel just after 3am. They say he was taken from his mother's home on Robmore Street in north Houston Tuesday afternoon, allegedly by the mother's boyfriend, 39-year-old Jorge Gomez.
According to Houston police, Gomez took the boy because he was angry with the child's mother. He was reportedly in contact wth her, telling her that he would not return the child.
Michael was found a couple hours later along Avenue C at 65th Street on Houston's East End, which is about 15 to 20 miles away from where he was reported missing. The boy, along with Gomez, was found sitting on a couch in the middle of the street. It was a couch that was being thrown out by resident Mayra Gomez.
"I feel so bad for the little boy. I have kids, too, you know, and I feel bad," said Mayra. "Strange that they were on our couch outside."
Residents in the area where Michael and Gomez were found say they don't know the little boy or the man accused of taking him.
Gomez was taken into custody without incident and is now charged with kidnapping.
We'll continue to update you on Eyewitness News and abc13.com as additional details become available.
amber alert, local
- Home invasion suspects threaten to take baby 17 min ago
- Obama urges world to act on Mandela legacy 58 min ago
- HISD schools may ditch Indian-themed mascots
- HPD: Baybrook Mall employee abducted, raped
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Boy, 6, suspended for kissing girl on cheek 9 min ago
- 5 Things to Know for Today
- Cop throws K-9 through suspect's window after chase
- UFC heavyweight fighter dies at age 30
- Man accused of pranking notable coaches about jobs arrested
- Great deals on Wednesdays at Thrift Store Outlet
- Would you 'Like' a Facebook 'Sympathize' button?
- 'Sound of Music' actress Eleanor Parker dies at 91
- Oklahahoma not likely to erect satanic monument
- Travis Herzog's midday weather forecast
3 min ago
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos