HPD: Missing boy found safe; suspect in custody
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A scare is over and Amber Alert canceled after a missing 4-year-old was found safe, but several questions remain about his disappearance.
Police issued the Amber Alert for 4-year-old Michael Rangel just after 3am. They say he was taken from his mother's home on Robmore Street in north Houston Tuesday afternoon, allegedly by the mother's boyfriend, 39-year-old Jorge Gomez.
According to Houston police, Gomez took the boy because he was angry with the child's mother. He was reportedly in contact wth her, telling her that he would not return the child.
Michael was found a couple hours later along Avenue C at 65th Street on Houston's East End, which is about 15 to 20 miles away from where he was reported missing. The boy, along with Gomez, was found sitting on a couch in the middle of the street. It was a couch that was being thrown out by resident Mayra Gomez.
"I feel so bad for the little boy. I have kids, too, you know, and I feel bad," said Mayra. "Strange that they were on our couch outside."
Residents in the area where Michael and Gomez were found say they don't know the little boy or the man accused of taking him.
Gomez was taken into custody without incident and is now charged with kidnapping.
We'll continue to update you on Eyewitness News and abc13.com as additional details become available.
amber alert, local
- Body found inside burned out postal worker's Jeep
- Boy, 6, drowns in Fort Bend County pool 13 min ago
- Powerball jackpot jumps to $600 million
- Witnesses rescue woman from kidnapping attempt
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Robbery suspects lead police on overnight chase 21 min ago
- Nuisance buildings around Houston coming down today 44 min ago
- Triathletes pushing themselves today in The Woodlands 16 min ago
- Getting to Galveston gets a bit easier this weekend 37 min ago
- Golfing great Ken Venturi dies at age 82
- Some lost everything to North Texas tornadoes
- otrc: Emma Watson talks 'tramp stamp'
- abcnews: Pat Robertson tells cheater's wife 'He's a...
- Video: Trapped ducklings saved by phone app
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos