Hitchcock HS reopens after fire forced cancellation yesterday
HITCHCOCK, TX -- A Southeast Texas school has reopened a day after a clothes dryer fire sent smoke into the building and forced cancellation of classes.
Classes resumed Wednesday at Hitchcock High School.
The Galveston County Daily News reports a malfunctioning clothes dryer caused a fire Tuesday morning. Hitchcock police say students and staff were evacuated, nobody was hurt and damage was limited to the dryer area.
Authorities say the school's sprinkler system helped douse the flames. Superintendent Lee Knapp says repairs were needed to the building's sprinkler system before classes could resume.
Hitchcock is 30 miles south of Houston.
- Boy's mouth duct taped for talking in class
- HISD takes steps to replace school mascots 3 min ago
- Recognize the guy in this sketch?
- Former Port of Houston IT director accused of theft 9 min ago
- Kim Jong Un's uncle executed as traitor
- Parents want justice for son's shooting death 58 min ago
- Accused stiletto heel killer out on bond
- What was interpreter REALLY signing
- Video: Treating asthma by burning the lungs 13 min ago
- Do you know this week's StopHoustonGangs.org fugitive?
- Bride accused of pushing husband off cliff pleads guilty
- NASA suspects bad valve for space station trouble
- Shoppers getting excuses instead of packages
- House approves budget bill; now goes to Senate
- Houston emergency rooms filling up
17 min ago
- Treating asthma by burning the lungs
13 min ago