Abandoned buildings come down across Houston
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Dozens of neighborhood eyesores were reduced to piles of rubble Saturday thanks to Houston's third annual Demolition Day
The city of Houston knocked down abandoned buildings across the city in an effort to promote public safety and enhance quality of life for residents.
Members of the Houston Contractors Association donated their services to bulldoze a portion of them, allowing more to be taken down in just one day.
Demo Day, as it's called, was instated by Mayor Annise Parker as a means to get rid of neglected or dilapidated properties that have become eyesores or epicenters of crime in their neighborhoods. And it gives neighbors a chance to watch as the hazardous homes in their area are torn down.
We saw the destruction of one home that was not just a nuisance to neighbors; it was even causing people to move away.
"We had some neighbors who wanted to move out because of the blight," Ray Washington said. "Now, when they see this, this gives them hope that this will continue to be a better neighborhood."
Nearly 200 buildings across Houston are marked as tear-downs. The bulldozers will keep rolling until all of them have been demolished. The debris will be cleared in the weeks that follow.
For a list of properties on the city's demolition list, visit www.houstontx.gov.
- Severe weather clears, leaves damage behind 41 min ago
- Houston mayor weighs in on 'Duck Dynasty' feud 30 min ago
- NASA astronauts complete first spacewalk 17 min ago
- Mom devastated by tragedy pushes for change
- Hospital: Teen shot at Colorado school dies 22 min ago
- New Houston light rail line opens for business
- 1 dead, 1 injured in drive-by double shooting
- Man barricades himself in house after allegedly killing wife
- 4 arrested on murder charges in NJ mall carjacking
- Ice pellets and snow frustrate holiday travel rush
- Three Harris County deaths related to H1N1
- Elf on the Shelf stress hits some parents hard
- Boy, 4, saves family from overnight fire
- Photos: What do you do if you shopped at Target?