Battleship Texas celebrates its 100th birthday
LA PORTE, TX (KTRK) -- Battleship Texas will celebrate its 100th birthday today with a party that could include hundreds of former crewmen that have manned the ship over the years.
The nation's oldest battleship launched on May 18, 1912.
Today's "Celebrate a Centennial Launching" ceremony in La Porte starts at 2pm and will feature a cake cutting by the great-great-granddaughter of the woman who christened the ship and a keynote speech by Lt. Governor David Dewhurst.
Invitations were sent to as many as 500 crewmen believed still alive.
- Bridge collapses in NW Washington; people in water
- Innocent mom killed, kids injured at end of chase
- Boy Scouts to allow openly gay Scouts in its ranks
- NOAA: 'Above normal' hurricane season for 2013
- Cancer drugs for children remain scarce in U.S.
- Drivers warned about possible police impersonator in Liberty...
- 2 remaining suspects in Alief murders arrested
- Judge declares mistrial in Jodi Arias penalty phase
- New funding to help Houston deal with water demands
- Houston one of fastest growing cities in US
- Photos: Most Wanted FBI Fugitives
- otrc: Brad Pitt screens 'World War Z'
- abcnews: Bars accused of serving rubbing alcohol
- Video: GRAPHIC: Deputy shot during traffic stop in...
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos