Neighbors rescue woman stuck on balcony of burning apartments
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A north Houston woman trapped by flames in a burning apartment was saved by her quick-thinking neighbors.
Neighbors say they saw the smoke and flames first, and then heard the woman screaming for help. As the flames grew, so did the urgency in the efforts to get the woman to safety.
The morning after the blaze at Canfield Lakes apartments, for the first time, people could see what they've lost.
"It spread so fast I couldn't save anything," one resident said.
But nobody here expected to feel gratitude.
"I don't know who they are but I want to say thank you, truly," another victim said. "You saved us. People like you, we need more of. Honestly, God bless you."
As flames ripped through these apartments, most people were sleeping. But three neighbors jumped into action. They saw a woman trapped on her balcony, screaming for help. They didn't hesitate.
"He climbed the balcony and he handed her down to me and we both grabbed her," recalled a hero.
The woman is fine now. And as everybody else begins to replace their clothes, food, and belongings, they're left with one feeling.
A fire victim said, "Shows that people here care and they look out for you."
"Somebody cares. I'm thankful, very thankful," another victim added.
According to firefighters, the building suffered nearly half a million dollars in damage. The cause is still under investigation.
The apartment management, however, believes the blaze was caused by a grease fire. They are now working to relocate the displaced residents.
- Family scrambles to safety from burning home 6 min ago
- Ex-BP engineer convicted on 1 obstruction charge
- Sketch released of suspect in brazen robbery
- Chase suspect crashes into tree in NW Houston
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- 5 Things to Know for Today 43 min ago
- 2 winning Mega Millions tickets sold
- Good Samaritan saves Christmas for foster child
- Suit: Risk of fire aboard Carnival's 'Triumph' known
- Man wanted in deadly W. Harris Co. shooting turns self in 9 min ago
- Delivery man hides present in trash...on trash day
- Tourist distracted by Facebook falls off pier
- Mystery illness kills 4 in Montgomery County 31 min ago
- Man victimized in 'knockout game' style attack
- Travis Herzog's weather forecast
57 min ago
- Blind man, dog rescued from NYC subway track
50 min ago