Pearland ISD's The Rig football field vandalized
PEARLAND, TX (KTRK) -- Pearland police are investigating what happened at the high school's football stadium.
Vandals hit The Rig, as it's called, Monday evening. The stadium is near the Pearland Parkway and South Main Street.
The discovery has students, parents and administrators upset. Police say it happened within a 12-hour period overnight.
A soccer coach arrived Tuesday morning and found the field turf cut in the middle of the field. Pearland police are investigating the vandalism. They will look at video from security cameras around the stadium.
It's not clear if this was a prank by students or who may be responsible. The district does not expect it to affect the next football season.
"I think it's a prank that has gone way too far. I know seniors like to do pranks, other schools like to do things and I think it's something that's gone way too far, and the cost of some of these fields and having them replaced and fixed is very expensive," parent Dean Hamil said.
"It's disappointing because there is so much tradition built into this school and the Rig here. It's something we are going to deal with, move forward and try to move as fast as we can to repair it," athletic director Ben Pardo said.
The district is waiting for damage estimates.
Anyone with information in this case is urged to contact the Pearland Police Department at 281-997-4100.
pearland, local, christine dobbyn
- Kubiak era ends in Houston
- Dad's murder trial too much for him to watch
- Shots fired during robbery on UH campus 1 min ago
- Winter weather wreaks havoc across North Texas
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Texans fire special teams coach Joe Marciano
- South Africans mourn, celebrate Mandela 25 min ago
- Police: Galveston pair arrested with 13 pounds of marijuana
- How Mandela changed everything with a rugby jersey
- Instead of drive-thru breakfast, couple gets bag of cash
- Worker dies in trench collapse in NW Harris County
- Photos: Share Your Holidays Food Drive
- Business owner turns to social media to find shoplifter
- They're serious about spitting in Minnesota!