Pearland ISD's The Rig football field vandalized
PEARLAND, TX (KTRK) -- Pearland police are investigating what happened at the high school's football stadium.
Vandals hit The Rig, as it's called, Monday evening. The stadium is near the Pearland Parkway and South Main Street.
The discovery has students, parents and administrators upset. Police say it happened within a 12-hour period overnight.
A soccer coach arrived Tuesday morning and found the field turf cut in the middle of the field. Pearland police are investigating the vandalism. They will look at video from security cameras around the stadium.
It's not clear if this was a prank by students or who may be responsible. The district does not expect it to affect the next football season.
"I think it's a prank that has gone way too far. I know seniors like to do pranks, other schools like to do things and I think it's something that's gone way too far, and the cost of some of these fields and having them replaced and fixed is very expensive," parent Dean Hamil said.
"It's disappointing because there is so much tradition built into this school and the Rig here. It's something we are going to deal with, move forward and try to move as fast as we can to repair it," athletic director Ben Pardo said.
The district is waiting for damage estimates.
Anyone with information in this case is urged to contact the Pearland Police Department at 281-997-4100.
pearland, local, christine dobbyn
- weather: Rain moving through our area
- Gas station clerks shoot robbery suspect
- Helping military families, one child at a time
- Browns agree to deal with ex-Texan RB Tate
- Foster tweets he's been medically cleared to play 37 min ago
- North Loop WB at Highway 290 shut down due to lost load 2 min ago
- Search for missing jet now includes 25 countries
- 3 pieces of evidence point to jet's takeover
- Wrong way driver dies after slamming into students' SUV
- HISD expanding dual language program 6 min ago
- Comedian David Brenner, 'Tonight' favorite, dies
- Houston Ship Channel collision under investigation
- Sea survivor keeps promise he made to dead friend
- Daughter asks: Who did I bury?