Middle school students honor veterans
KINGWOOD, TX (KTRK) -- Students at a local middle school have made it their mission to honor the men and women who have served our country through a year-long service project, and they opened it up Saturday for a special Memorial Day service.
The community gathered Saturday at Humble ISD's Creekwood Middle School where the students have built the Veterans Honor Garden over the past year.
Veterans and their families were invited to hear the school band play patriotic songs and hear speeches from Congressman Ted Poe and State Rep. Dan Huberty.
"It means a whole lot to me as a veteran," Pat Brown told us of what the children have put together.
The garden has special touches. One bench honors the sacrifices of the Korean War veterans, which means a great deal to people like Carole Headrick, whose late husband was in the Army at the time of that conflict.
"It means a lot that they're learning about the Korean War and that they have this little area to memorialize what those men did," Headrick said.
The Korean War memorial bench was dedicated by Korean Consulate General Suk-Bum Park during the service on Saturday.
The bricks are special, too. They are purchased by donors to help fund the park and marked with memorial messages.
"We helped lay bricks," eighth grader Megan Letsos said. "It was just a really good thing to pitch in."
Those commemorative bricks are still for sale. To learn how you can donate and become a lasting part of the park, visit their website.
local, elissa rivas
- HCSO: Sergeant killed by suspected drunk driver 17 min ago
- Man shot, killed inside restaurant in NW Harris Co. 18 min ago
- Houston demolishes dozens of nuisance buildings 10 min ago
- DEA officer involved in shooting in Galleria area 7 min ago
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- House party ends with one dead, 3 others injured 16 min ago
- Oxbow wins Preakness Stakes
- Body of postal worker found in burned out Jeep 56 min ago
- Man found unconscious in NW Houston pool
- $590M-plus Powerball: 1 winning ticket sold in Fla
- Photos: Memorial Hermann Ironman triathlon
- otrc: Meet the new Star Trek villain
- abcnews: Passenger jet makes belly landing in Newark
- Video: Trapped ducklings saved by phone app
- David Tillman's Sunday weather forecast
27 min ago
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos