Middle school students honor veterans
KINGWOOD, TX (KTRK) -- Students at a local middle school have made it their mission to honor the men and women who have served our country through a year-long service project, and they opened it up Saturday for a special Memorial Day service.
The community gathered Saturday at Humble ISD's Creekwood Middle School where the students have built the Veterans Honor Garden over the past year.
Veterans and their families were invited to hear the school band play patriotic songs and hear speeches from Congressman Ted Poe and State Rep. Dan Huberty.
"It means a whole lot to me as a veteran," Pat Brown told us of what the children have put together.
The garden has special touches. One bench honors the sacrifices of the Korean War veterans, which means a great deal to people like Carole Headrick, whose late husband was in the Army at the time of that conflict.
"It means a lot that they're learning about the Korean War and that they have this little area to memorialize what those men did," Headrick said.
The Korean War memorial bench was dedicated by Korean Consulate General Suk-Bum Park during the service on Saturday.
The bricks are special, too. They are purchased by donors to help fund the park and marked with memorial messages.
"We helped lay bricks," eighth grader Megan Letsos said. "It was just a really good thing to pitch in."
Those commemorative bricks are still for sale. To learn how you can donate and become a lasting part of the park, visit their website.
local, elissa rivas
- Home invasion suspects threaten to take baby
- Obama urges world to act on Mandela legacy
- Man accused of leaving co-worker naked in ditch 43 min ago
- Woman accused of having sex with boy, 14 5 min ago
- Cleveland ISD: Teen resisting officer hit with Taser 37 min ago
- Boy, 6, suspended for kissing girl on cheek
- Houston Texans rookies take kids on shopping spree 3 min ago
- 5 Things to Know for Today
- Cop throws K-9 through suspect's window after chase
- UFC heavyweight fighter dies at age 30
- Man accused of pranking notable coaches about jobs arrested
- Great deals on Wednesdays at Thrift Store Outlet
- HPD: Baybrook Mall employee abducted, raped
- Man accused of killing, burying mom in backyard
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos