Hit-and-run driver in north Houston suspected of driving drunk
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A hit-and-run in north Houston is under investigation. Two vehicles were involved, but only one driver stayed around.
Investigators believe alcohol played a role in the crash and it's serving as a reminder for Houstonians to hand over the keys if they've been drinking this Memorial Day weekend.
Police are looking for the driver of a Mustang. They say after the accident he jumped out of his car and ran off.
This all happened during an impromptu low-rider car show in a shopping center along the freeway at W. Dyna. Drivers were slowing down on the feeder to look at what was going on. Apparently the driver of the Mustang was headed north on the feeder road when he slammed into the back of a minivan that had slowed down.
Police say the impact pushed the minivan into an electrical pole, knocking it down. Then it broke a water pipe.
The driver of the minivan has minor injuries and no one else was hurt. But according to officers who were on the scene, there were beer bottles inside the Mustang. Police say they believe the driver was drunk.
A reminder for anyone on the road this Memorial Day weekend, DPS troopers will increase patrols across the state. Troopers will be looking for drivers who may be speeding, not wearing a seatbelt, or driving drunk. This weekend is a no refusal weekend, meaning suspected drunk drivers will have their blood drawn if they refuse a breath test.
The no refusal policy is also in effect for lakes Conroe and Houston. Police will ticket and arrest boaters suspected of driving drunk on the water. The initiative lasts through tonight.
local, sonia azad
- Sketch released in murder of two Houston women 35 min ago
- Teen leads police on high-speed chase
- Missouri City cheers on 'Resurrection' star
- North Texas family holds out hope for loved one
- Big names, fans converge on Austin for SXSW
- Information on price tags decoded
- Naked murder suspect caught on camera punching officer 56 min ago
- Shopping for a wireless plan? Check here first
- VIP treatment for military families at RodeoHouston
- Battery dead? Use the virtual smartphone
- Counterfeit health and beauty products arrests in NY
- Peru: Van der Sloot to be extradited to US in 2038
- Kansas City-area spelling bee finally ends! 39 min ago
- Why Malaysia Airlines jet might have disappeared