HMNS paleontology hall wows on opening weekend
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- It's a feast for the eyes and playground for amateur paleontologists. The Hall of Paleontology at the Houston Museum of Natural Science opened this weekend to wide-eyed reviews of the dynamic dinosaur exhibits.
"I'm blown away. I didn't know that there would be this many, and it's an excellent collection," said Wade Harris, who made the drive down from College Station with his son to see the fossils.
The exhibit is larger than a football field, two stories high and you could fit five to six Goodyear blimps inside. But it's not only size which makes it special, according to the museum's president, Joel Bartsch.
"This is giant dinosaurs posed as if they are fighting each other, dramatically lit," Bartsch described.
And you don't have to be a kid to enjoy this exhibit. Just ask Houston Mayor Annise Parker.
"This is so cool. It will bring out the kid in everybody that comes in here," Parker said. "This is going to be another tourist destination in our pantheon of great places to go when you visit Houston."
Bartsch agrees, saying that people are fans as soon as they enter.
"Kids of all ages -- whether they're nine or 90 -- when they walk in here, they just go 'wow!'" he said. "And then we got 'em."
For more information and ticket sales, visit www.hmns.org.
local, elissa rivas
- 4 killed, 3 injured in Pasadena taxi cab wreck
- Teen denies peeing in Oregon reservoir
- Captain of sunken SKorean ferry, 2 crew arrested 50 min ago
- Massive reward in brutally beaten dog case 49 min ago
- 17-year-old fatally shot outside Katy-area strip center
- Hope this doesn't make you sick 26 min ago
- Galveston hosting annual Chicken Shack Strut today
- Student pays off $25,000 college tuition with pennies
- METRO temporarily suspending part of Red Line
- Behold, the pizza cake
- Ohio couple married 70 years die 15 hours apart 44 min ago
- Child dies in multi-vehicle wreck on 290
- Teacher denies sex crimes in YouTube case
- Student reports near abduction while leaving school
- Spurs fans wearing team spirit on their heads
48 min ago