Virginia felon mistakenly released caught in Houston
HOUSTON -- A convicted robber mistakenly released in Virginia has been captured in Texas.
Federal agents on Tuesday caught 31-year-old Carter Tillery at an apartment complex in Houston.
Tillery was serving 30 years in a federal prison in West Virginia for the 2009 robbery of a business in Petersburg, Va.
He was transferred to the Piedmont Regional Jail in Farmville, Va., to appear on weapons and assault charges.
Prosecutors withdrew those charges May 17. Officers later mistakenly released Tillery instead of returning him to federal custody in Hazleton, W.Va.
His mistaken release was not discovered until May 25. Investigators had been monitoring a Houston person who's acquainted with Tillery.
His original release date was 2036. He faces return to Virginia on an escape warrant.
- Missouri City cheers on 'Resurrection' star
- North Texas family holds out hope for loved one
- Big names, fans converge on Austin for SXSW
- One killed in house fire on Houston's south side
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Teen leads police on high-speed chase in north Houston
- VIP treatment for military families at RodeoHouston
- Naked murder suspect caught on camera punching officer 1 min ago
- Peru: Van der Sloot to be extradited to US in 2038 40 min ago
- Why Malaysia Airlines jet might have disappeared
- Rockets rally for OT win over Blazers
- Man arrested for stealing money from donation box
- More than two dozen hurt in musical stage collapse
- Suspected drunk driver in Atascocita fatal crash due in court 37 min ago