Girl, 12, accidentally runs over mother
JACINTO CITY, TX (KTRK) -- A mother of six was killed when her 12-year-old daughter accidentally pushed the gas pedal instead of the brakes and struck her outside a home in Jacinto City last night.
Authorities are calling this an unfortunate accident. It happened around 6:45pm outside a home in the 10000 block of Verano near Holland.
Police say the mother was with her six children and had pulled into the driveway of a home for sale to look at it. They say the mother decided she wanted the Suburban closer to the house so asked her 12-year-old daughter to get in the driver's seat and she would tell her when to stop.
When the girl was told to brake, she accidentally stepped on the accelerator instead and struck the mom.
"It's very unfortunate as to what happened," Jacinto City Police Department Chief Joe Ayala said. "Of course, it's just something that shouldn't be done. She should have got in the vehicle and she should have done that herself instead of instructing the child."
Neighbors tried to lift the SUV off the woman, but it was too late to save her.
No one else was injured.
- HCSO: Sergeant killed by suspected drunk driver 5 min ago
- Man shot, killed inside restaurant in NW Harris Co. 6 min ago
- Houston demolishes dozens of nuisance buildings
- DEA officer involved in shooting in Galleria area
- House party ends with one dead, 3 others injured 4 min ago
- Oxbow wins Preakness Stakes
- Body of postal worker found in burned out Jeep 44 min ago
- Man found unconscious in NW Houston pool
- $590M-plus Powerball: 1 winning ticket sold in Fla
- Man armed with knife robs Rosenberg bank
- Photos: Memorial Hermann Ironman triathlon
- otrc: Meet the new Star Trek villain
- abcnews: Passenger jet makes belly landing in Newark
- Video: Trapped ducklings saved by phone app
- David Tillman's Sunday weather forecast
15 min ago
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos