Dynamo afternoon games too hot to handle for players, fans
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A Houston Dynamo game at the new BBVA Compass Stadium is one of the hottest tickets in town, but for many fans and some players afternoon games may be too hot to handle.
The novelty of the new stadium may be to blame for the scorching schedule so far. But after crowd complaints, fans can expect some relief the next time the team takes the field.
It is the newest major sports attraction in Houston. It is also the only one in town without a roof and at the mercy of the weather. Since last month, that's been an issue. The first day game in its new stadium on May 12 was a sellout and except for spectators in full sunlight, it was tolerable.
On May 26 against the LA Galaxy the game was on a sweltering afternoon and it got David Beckham's attention.
"Yea, next time schedule a night game. That'd be nice," said Beckham.
The Dynamo's Brian Ching as well.
"It's something you want the guys who actually schedule these games to come and sit down here in the sun and realize it's not conducive for great soccer," said Ching.
And then there were the fans. Heath Wells is a Dynamo season ticket holder.
"I'd say brutal. I envy watching games in England where people are in scarves and jackets and we're here getting sunburned," said Wells.
The newness of the stadium in a sense is to blame for the schedule. Until now, day games were mostly avoided in Houston during the hot months. But this year, Major League Soccer wanted to show off the newest professional venue before a network TV audience. The Dynamo club had no choice in the timing.
People seeking shelter from the sun in the concourse during the Galaxy game spoke volumes. The Dynamo asked that the time of next week's home game be changed, and MLS and ESPN agreed
"As a result, the game has been pushed back from 4pm to 6:30pm where it will be cooler and shadows will be more prevalent across the stadium for both fans and players," said Dynamo President Chris Canetti.
bbva compass stadium, houston dynamo, mls, local, deborah wrigley
- weather: Severe weather across SE Texas
- Search in OK nears completion; tornado was EF5
- Houston will host Super Bowl LI in 2017
- Alligator found between homes in Fort Bend County
- Strong storms roll over SE Texas
- New facial filler targets tiny wrinkles
- Do you know all the apps your kids are using?
- 2nd suspect in Alief murders surrenders
- Katy Fire Chief indicted in Valium diversion case
- Newest 'Dancing' winner crowned
- Microsoft's Xbox One to go on sale late 2013
- otrc: No more Oscars for Seth MacFarlane
- abcnews: 'Very graphic' devastation at OK elem. school
- Video: OK tornado caught on cell phone