Man in family violence case subdued with pepper spray dies in police custody
MANVEL, TX -- Investigators say a man subdued with pepper spray during a Houston-area domestic violence call has died in custody.
The Brazoria County Sheriff's Department on Wednesday identified the man as 52-year-old James Dortch Jr. An autopsy has been ordered.
Deputies on Tuesday night were called to a home in Manvel about a man who allegedly used cocaine and assaulted a female relative. Deputies say Dortch was incoherent and mumbling as he fought officers who tried to restrain him.
The sheriff's department says deputies used pepper spray on Dortch, then handcuffed him and took him outside. Deputies say Dortch began having trouble breathing, his restraints were removed and attempts were made to resuscitate the man.
Dortch was pronounced dead at a hospital.
- Bridge collapses in NW Washington; people in water
- Innocent mom killed, kids injured at end of chase
- Boy Scouts to allow openly gay Scouts in its ranks
- NOAA: 'Above normal' hurricane season for 2013
- Cancer drugs for children remain scarce in U.S.
- Drivers warned about possible police impersonator in Liberty...
- 2 remaining suspects in Alief murders arrested
- Judge declares mistrial in Jodi Arias penalty phase
- New funding to help Houston deal with water demands
- Houston one of fastest growing cities in US
- Photos: Most Wanted FBI Fugitives
- otrc: Brad Pitt screens 'World War Z'
- abcnews: Bars accused of serving rubbing alcohol
- Video: GRAPHIC: Deputy shot during traffic stop in...
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos