Battleship Texas to close for repairs next week
LA PORTE, TX -- Battleship Texas will close next week for repairs after the 100-year-old vessel began flooding.
Ship manager Andy Smith tells the Houston Chronicle the ship will remain open to visitors this weekend, but is set to close Monday. The battleship, which fought in World Wars I and II and now serves as a memorial and museum to those who sacrificed their lives, will likely remain closed through June 22.
The battleship developed a leak last weekend that quickly flooded the bilge areas beneath the engine room. Officials said Friday that the battleship was still taking on water, but the amount decreased from about 850 gallons per minute to about 100.
Smith says salvage and dive teams will inspect the hull Saturday to come up with a repair plan.
la porte, local
- NOAA: 'Above normal' hurricane season for 2013 5 min ago
- Drug agents: 'Unfit for human consumption'
- Man fatally shot while driving in SW Houston
- Women behind aggravated robbery caught on video
- Vote on gay Scouts comes at emotional moment 37 min ago
- Drivers warned about possible police impersonator in Liberty...
- METRORail downtown closed for Memorial Day weekend 56 min ago
- Suspected molester to cops: 'I need help' 24 min ago
- Man facing charges in beating death of his own mother
- 'Pastor' indicted in real estate investment scam
- Surgeons remove tiger's basketball-sized hairball
- otrc: New 'Man of Steel' trailer
- abcnews: SI model to attend prom with teen
- Video: GRAPHIC: Deputy shot during traffic stop in...
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos