Teen shot outside gated neighborhood
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- An 18-year old was shot early Sunday on a southwest Harris County street, and now deputies are looking for the gunman.
The victim and his 16-year-old cousin were leaving a quinceanera when they got into a confrontation with an unknown man in a vehicle.
"We hear, like, people fighting, screaming and fighting. And later they shoot, like five shootings," said one witness, who asked us not to identify her.
The witness was just yards away from where the 18-year-old was shot. It happened around 1:15am on Synott near Vineyard Park outside the gated Beechnut Landing subdivision.
The witness tells us her family was outside in the when they heard at least five shots fired.
"When I heard the shooting, I ran. We ran, but when I looked over there, we saw the body," she said.
According to the Harris County Sheriff's Office, the 18-year-old victim was walking home with his cousin when they got into some sort of altercation with someone driving out of the subdivision.
Officials say the unidentified suspect rolled down his window and shot the 18-year-old once in the chest and once in the hand. The 16-year-old was not injured.
The victim was airlifted to Memorial Hermann Hospital in critical condition, but authorities expect him to make a full recovery.
His cousin told deputies that it happened so fast, it was hard to get a description of the shooter.
An investigation is underway to find the gunman, who reportedly drove off in a black sedan with dark, tinted windows.
No names have been released.
Deputies tell us they are treating this shooting as an aggravated assault.
Anyone with information can call HCSO or Crime Stoppers.
- Galveston judge indicted on felony charges
- Constable Trevino: Good intentions gone too far?
- OK residents come home to pick up the pieces
- Consumer Reports lists best, worst airlines
- Deputy's family speaks out about his death
- 'Nashville' show putting spotlight on Music City
- 2017 Super Bowl means transformations for downtown
- Will Dome still be standing come Super Bowl time?
- Meet Houston Symphony's newest music director
- Game warden kills alligator on street in Clear Lake
- 1 child dead, 1 missing in Minn. park landslide
- otrc: No more Oscars for Seth MacFarlane
- abcnews: 5 modern day health woes, solved
- Video: OK tornado caught on cell phone