Three killed, two others injured during shooting outside night club
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Three people are dead and two more injured after a shooting early Wednesday morning. Hundreds had gathered outside the Scores Cabaret in southwest Houston after a Juneteenth rap concert, and that's when someone opened fire.
That shooting happened right in the parking lot just a few steps away from the door. Police say the chaos had hundreds of people running for cover.
Outside Club Blue on Westpark, balloons are now a reminder of the five people who were shot in the parking lot early Wednesday morning.
Two women say their uncle, who's popularly known as "Dinky," is among the three victims who died.
Quitta said, "Just sad, and heartache and pain."
Police say the shooting happened shortly after a concert featuring Houston rapper Trae Tha Truth wrapped up. That concert was billed as part of a Juneteenth celebration at a strip club next door. Witnesses say the suspects fired between 20 and 40 rounds.
Ashley, a friend of one of the victims, said, "It was just heartbreaking, you know. I couldn't believe it."
Ashley, who didn't want to show her face or give her last name, told me her best friend Erica Dodson was also killed outside the club. Police say the single mother of three was an innocent victim who was just walking to her car.
"She was like an everyday person, I seen her every day," Ashley said. Just to hear the fact that, you know, that she's gone, it's really, really heartbroken."
Investigators say it's possible the Westpark shooting is gang-related. They say it could be connected to a domestic issue involving one of the male victims who received death threats recently. Now Ashley is asking why.
"Just by her walking from the store, going to the car, she's hit. She's dead," she said.
Trae Tha Truth's publicist tells Eyewitness News the musician suffered minor injuries from a bullet wound to the shoulder. A photo of Trae in his hospital gown was tweeted just before he was discharged from the hospital. Police are also calling him an innocent victim.
Police have not officially released the names of the victims. The big problem right now is that they say they need the community's help with leads on the suspects. They are asking anyone with information to call Crime Stoppers at 713-222-TIPS.
local, demond fernandez
- Missouri City cheers on 'Resurrection' star
- North Texas family holds out hope for loved one
- Big names, fans converge on Austin for SXSW
- One killed in house fire on Houston's south side
- VIP treatment for military families at RodeoHouston
- More than two dozen hurt in musical stage collapse
- Rockets rally for OT win over Blazers
- Malaysia jet may have turned back
- Toronto mayor mocked for daylight savings flub
- Amazing images from midair accident in Florida
- Woman badly burned in Conroe apartment fire
- Ford Motor Co. leader William Clay Ford dies
- Photos: South by Southwest in Austin
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman in freak accident