Suspected copper thief leads police on chase in stolen car
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Police say a crime spree by a copper thief is over after he was tracked down in a stolen KIA.
The chase ended on Memorial Drive just west of Dairy Ashford at 3am. We caught part of the short chase on our Houston Transtar JamCams as it went from the Beltway to the Katy Freeway and onto Memorial.
The driver suddenly stopped and was arrested while trying to make a run for it. Somehow, he hurt his head and had to get bandaged up before being hauled off downtown.
Police say he's been up to no good for days.
"They saw a suspicious Hispanic male driving an SUV, stealing silver caps off the water sprinklers -- brass caps -- I guess to to pawn," said officer Dennis Gonzales with the Houston Police Department.
The stolen vehicle was returned to the owners who had the vehicle stolen at an Exxon along the West Beltway.
- Severe weather possible Saturday morning
- Mom devastated by tragedy pushes for change
- Three Harris County deaths related to H1N1
- Boy, 4, saves family from overnight fire
- Santa sparks impromptu marriage ceremony
- 'Duck Dynasty' fans react to Phil's hiatus
- Police: Teen admits shooting out car windows
- Foul weather threatens to snarl US holiday travel
- Obama: '2014 can be a breakthrough year'
- Turning those holiday gift cards into cash
- Photos: What do you do if you shopped at Target?
- Video: Harris County inmates get early Christmas
- FBISD approves new GPA-exempt courses
- Man tries to grab woman jogging on trail