Suspected copper thief leads police on chase in stolen car
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Police say a crime spree by a copper thief is over after he was tracked down in a stolen KIA.
The chase ended on Memorial Drive just west of Dairy Ashford at 3am. We caught part of the short chase on our Houston Transtar JamCams as it went from the Beltway to the Katy Freeway and onto Memorial.
The driver suddenly stopped and was arrested while trying to make a run for it. Somehow, he hurt his head and had to get bandaged up before being hauled off downtown.
Police say he's been up to no good for days.
"They saw a suspicious Hispanic male driving an SUV, stealing silver caps off the water sprinklers -- brass caps -- I guess to to pawn," said officer Dennis Gonzales with the Houston Police Department.
The stolen vehicle was returned to the owners who had the vehicle stolen at an Exxon along the West Beltway.
- OK residents come home to pick up the pieces
- Details to be released on plans for 2017 Super Bowl
- Alligator found between homes in Fort Bend County
- Child abducted walking home from school
- Game warden kills alligator on street in Clear Lake
- Hearing scheduled to terminate rights of Baby Chloe's parents
- IRS official Lois Lerner: 'I did nothing wrong' 2 min ago
- New facial filler targets tiny wrinkles
- FBI: Man fatally shot in Boston bombing probe
- Newest 'Dancing' winner crowned
- Lufkin restaurant worker hit by lightning dies 55 min ago
- otrc: No more Oscars for Seth MacFarlane
- abcnews: 5 modern day health woes, solved
- Video: OK tornado caught on cell phone