Mailman rescues two girls from burning home in southwest Houston
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A mailman is a hero after he helped two young girls escape from their burning home in southwest Houston.
The fire started on Tidewater at Mandalay around 9am Tuesday. Investigators think a malfunctioning AC unit or possibly an extension cord plugged into the unit triggered the fire. Family members say the 12 and 14-year-old girls were asleep when the fire started.
A mailman on his route saw the flames and saved the girls.
"The mailman was coming by and the mailman woke the kids up, and got the kids out. Thank you, Jesus. Everybody is OK, but they lost everything," said the victim's family member, Edna Singleton.
The Red Cross is now helping the family.
- Security guard fatally shot in SW Houston
- Man nabbed after video shows burglar staring at baby
- It's Free Stuff Friday!
- HPD aims to keep officers safe behind wheels
- Strong earthquake shakes central, southern Mexico 17 min ago
- Man avoids $525 fine for soda refill
- Two people inside parked car shot, one fatally
- Twin boys fight off carjacker in San Antonio
- Chipotle plans first price hike in 3 years
- Use natural dyes to decorate Easter eggs
- Michaels confirms breach of as many as 2.6M cards
- Prosecutors seek arrest warrant for ferry captain
- Kansas City highway shooting suspect in custody
- 12 killed, 3 missing in avalanche on Everest