Mailman rescues two girls from burning home in southwest Houston
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A mailman is a hero after he helped two young girls escape from their burning home in southwest Houston.
The fire started on Tidewater at Mandalay around 9am Tuesday. Investigators think a malfunctioning AC unit or possibly an extension cord plugged into the unit triggered the fire. Family members say the 12 and 14-year-old girls were asleep when the fire started.
A mailman on his route saw the flames and saved the girls.
"The mailman was coming by and the mailman woke the kids up, and got the kids out. Thank you, Jesus. Everybody is OK, but they lost everything," said the victim's family member, Edna Singleton.
The Red Cross is now helping the family.
- Police impersonator sexually assaults woman
- Police: Woman tried to abduct boy walking to school
- HFD vehicle involved in deadly accident
- ABC13 gets exclusive tour of home after drug bust
- Neighbors forced to pull up community garden
- Officer fatally shoots burglary suspect
- Arrested partiers claim Galveston police went too far
- HPD officer involved in northeast Houston crash
- Fire engulfs northeast Houston home
- Obama imposes sanctions over Ukraine crisis
- Man to be tried as adult for deadly childhood attack
- Two arrested in deadly hit-and-run on FM 1960
- Woman asleep in Bieber's rented home arrested
- Woman's mummified body found at Detroit-area home