Dead suspect's identity released
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Police are now saying the suspect who died following a violent carjacking spree actually shot four victims, instead of just three.
On Wednesday, the violence began at the Wilshire Place apartments at about 9am, and came to a crashing end at Highway 290 and Hollister. Police spent the better part of the day investigating multiple scenes.
Investigators initially said the gunman shot three people -- a security guard, a maintenance man and a resident. They have now determined there was a fourth victim as well. A citizen driving by the complex when the gunfire erupted was struck by one of the suspect's bullets. That victim was taken to Memorial Hermann Hospital in critical condition.
The suspect, who died at the scene after exchanging gunfire with officers and crashing a stolen vehicle, has been identified as Patrick O'Neal Spurlock. While he suffered one gunshot wound, an autopsy is being performed to determine his exact cause of death. Police say Spurlock was tenant of the apartment complex at 6000 Hollister.
So far, no motive for the crime spree has been determined.
- College student from Baytown fatally shot
- Kubiak era ends in Houston
- Dad's murder trial too much for him to watch
- Shots fired during robbery on UH campus
- Texans fire special teams coach Joe Marciano
- Homeowner questions handling of Christmas package
- Methodist: Personal info of 1,300 transplant patients stolen
- Winter weather wreaks havoc across North Texas
- Officer who fired at van with kids in it fired
- Feds order changes following deadly train derailment
- Police: Galveston pair arrested with 13 pounds of marijuana
- New METRO rail line nearly ready for riders
- NKorea: Detained elderly American veteran deported
- Ohio Amish girl won't be forced to have chemo