Day care van driver, owner charged after wreck in NW Harris Co.
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A daycare van driver and the owner of the day care face charges after a crash sent 16 kids to the hospital on Monday.
The wreck happened at around 4pm Monday on the North Beltway near West Gulf Bank as the Apple Kids Center day care passenger van was returning from a field trip.
Investigators say the van's driver ran a red light and the van was T-boned by a pickup.
The Cy-Fair Volunteer Fire Department says 16 juveniles and two adults in the van were transported to be checked out at Cy-Fair Hospital as a precautionary measure. We're told they suffered cuts and scratches.
The children, between the ages of 6 and 12 years of age, were all released with no serious injuries.
Authorities say the day care van driver was cited for running the red light and was also charged with a state jail felony. Investigators say there were too many children aboard the bus and not enough child restraints.
"It's a terrifying feeling, mainly worrying about people being OK. As far as wreck drivers, our major thing is to block the roads so nobody gets hurt any more than already is and we make sure that people are OK," tow truck driver Jimmy Chano said. "My biggest concern is, I'm not worried about the vehicle, I'm worried about the people."
The driver of the pickup truck was not seriously injured and wasn't transported to a hospital.
The van driver, Conception Coronado, and the day care owner, Darryl Freeman, are both charged with injury to a child - criminal negligence.
- Galveston judge indicted on felony charges
- Constable Trevino: Good intentions gone too far?
- OK residents come home to pick up the pieces
- Consumer Reports lists best, worst airlines
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Man fatally shot while driving in SW Houston 6 min ago
- Deputy's family speaks out about his death
- 'Nashville' show putting spotlight on Music City
- Japanese climber, 80, becomes oldest atop Everest 7 min ago
- 2017 Super Bowl means transformations for downtown
- Will Dome still be standing come Super Bowl time? 26 min ago
- Meet Houston Symphony's newest music director
- otrc: No more Oscars for Seth MacFarlane
- abcnews: 5 modern day health woes, solved
- Casey Curry's Thursday weather forecast
13 min ago