League City firefighter, 92, passes away
LEAGUE CITY, TX (KTRK) -- We have a sad update about a man we met during an ABC13 Hometown Live report last year.
Last October, we introduced you to 92-year-old Arthur Hewitt, who was serving as a volunteer firefighter in League City. He died Monday night in his daughter's home in Woodburn.
Hewitt was a World War II veteran, who survived a year as a prisoner of war before returning to Texas where he began working as a volunteer firefighter in 1950. When he was 85, he stopped fighting the fires, but he continued doing safety checks and mentoring younger volunteers.
Those who knew and worked with Hewitt called him an inspiration and a legend within the community.
Funeral arrangements are pending.
league city, local
- Missing 14-year-old girl found safe in South Texas
- Video from N. Houston pawn shop robbery released
- Armed robbers pistol whip McDonald's manager
- Burglary suspect watches sleeping toddler
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Reward to nab Most Wanted sex offender climbs to $13K 28 min ago
- 5 plead guilty after immigrant stash house discovery 45 min ago
- Fire in wood shop fills middle school with smoke
- Case of missing teens solved after 43 years
- 292 missing, 4 dead in South Korea ferry disaster
- Fashion trucks take over downtown Houston
- Missing kid found stuck in coin-operated game
- Over the top promposal had cops in on the secret
- Jenny McCarthy announces engagement on 'The View'
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos