League City firefighter, 92, passes away
LEAGUE CITY, TX (KTRK) -- We have a sad update about a man we met during an ABC13 Hometown Live report last year.
Last October, we introduced you to 92-year-old Arthur Hewitt, who was serving as a volunteer firefighter in League City. He died Monday night in his daughter's home in Woodburn.
Hewitt was a World War II veteran, who survived a year as a prisoner of war before returning to Texas where he began working as a volunteer firefighter in 1950. When he was 85, he stopped fighting the fires, but he continued doing safety checks and mentoring younger volunteers.
Those who knew and worked with Hewitt called him an inspiration and a legend within the community.
Funeral arrangements are pending.
league city, local
- Car slams into two homes in wild crash 44 min ago
- Man found shot to death in SE Houston home
- Cigarette blamed for Taco Bell fire in Katy
- Girls' softball league evicted from their field
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- 'Duck Dynasty' fans react to Phil's hiatus 36 min ago
- Bear cubs get loose at Houston Zoo
- Residents on edge after Montgomery Co. flu deaths
- Chevron puts downtown Houston building plans on hold
- Duck Dynasty's Phil Robertson off the show after gay remark
- East Texas company making healthcare affordable
- Video: Lovie Smith interviews with Texans
- Video: JJ Watt now a superhero
- Investigators: Driver drank cologne to hide alcohol smell
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos