League City firefighter, 92, passes away
LEAGUE CITY, TX (KTRK) -- We have a sad update about a man we met during an ABC13 Hometown Live report last year.
Last October, we introduced you to 92-year-old Arthur Hewitt, who was serving as a volunteer firefighter in League City. He died Monday night in his daughter's home in Woodburn.
Hewitt was a World War II veteran, who survived a year as a prisoner of war before returning to Texas where he began working as a volunteer firefighter in 1950. When he was 85, he stopped fighting the fires, but he continued doing safety checks and mentoring younger volunteers.
Those who knew and worked with Hewitt called him an inspiration and a legend within the community.
Funeral arrangements are pending.
league city, local
- Suspect in wreck that killed sergeant goes to court
- ATM stolen in smash-and-grab burglary
- Boy, 3, drowns in apartment pool in SW Houston
- House party ends with one dead, 2 others injured
- Houston Super Bowl committee makes pitch in Boston 38 min ago
- Dreamliner returns to skies today with flight from Houston 37 min ago
- Man injured after driving lesson gone wrong
- Two die in apparent murder-suicide in west Houston
- 13 Things to Know for Monday 6 min ago
- HISD security officer goes before judge today 38 min ago
- otrc: No 'Bridesmaids' sequel for Wiig
- abcnews: 5 security tips for Facebook mobile
- Video: Huge tornado caught on camera in Kansas
- One dies, another injured in head-on accident
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos