Good Samaritans rescue motorcyclist who rode into flood waters
raw video: Aerials of flooding in Tomball area
iWitness: Raccoon family takes shelter from storms
iWitness: Viewer skimboarding in high water
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A motorcyclist was nearly killed when he crashed into flood waters overnight going more than 60 miles per hour.
Witnesses say they saw an SUV knock over the barricade on Spring-Cypress near Grant Road and then that driver just took off. While three good Samaritans were trying to put the barricade back up, the motorcyclist zoomed by and hit the water. Those witnesses ran and pulled him out of the water.
"We know that his body floated down the road in the high water and the witnesses were able to retrieve him from the water near the bridge probably about a quarter mile from the water's edge," said Investigator Dan Drake with the Harris County Sheriff's Office.
The motorcyclist was taken by Life Flight to Memorial Hermann Hospital in critical condition. The original SUV driver who knocked over the barricade is long gone.
Rescue in Montgomery County
Also overnight, rescue crews pulled someone out of a flooded Spring Creek. It was around midnight when that person was found clinging to tree limbs near Decker Prairie Rosehill Road. Montgomery County sheriff's deputies tell us that area is very dangerous because Spring Creek is swollen and moving quickly.
In Cypress, several horses had to be rescued after their stables started taking in water. A worker tells us they hadn't seen flooding this bad in several years, forcing them to move the animals to higher ground. The stalls started flooding soon after a nearby creek went over its banks. Luckily, all 22 horses were safely moved and none were hurt.
- Mystery shipwrecks explored off Galveston 28 min ago
- Woman ambushed while taking out trash
- Here's a reason to lock doors while pumping gas 52 min ago
- Teen reunites with family after being found safe
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Prostitution sting nets 5 arrests in NW Harris County
- Williams in talks to reprise 'Mrs. Doubtfire' role 12 min ago
- Obama: 8 million signed up for health care
- Teen accused of threatening attack on Splendora HS
- Police: Man ate pot candy before shooting his wife 56 min ago
- Chelsea Clinton announces she's pregnant
- Student caught with gun on campus 44 min ago
- Man shimmies through burglar bars at tattoo parlor
- Photos: Know any of Harris Co.'s featured fugitives?
- Students prep for national robotics...
48 min ago