Brothers charged following wreck that killed boater
BAYTOWN, TX (KTRK) -- Two brothers face charges, accused of running from the scene of a boating accident in Baytown Saturday instead of stopping and helping the victims. One man was found dead following that accident. His body was discovered Monday morning.
Investigators say a tugboat operator discovered the body of Damon Wayne Miller, 34, in Cedar Bayou, about a mile north of where the boat crash happened.
A larger boat collided with a small fishing boat in which Miller and a friend were riding. Both were ejected by the impact. The Coast Guard and other crews tried unsuccessfully to locate Miller in the hours following the wreck.
His body wasn't found until Monday. His uncle says Miller had just recently moved home to help care for his recently-widowed mother in Baytown.
"He was a remarkable young man," said Mike Thrash, Miller's uncle. "As a he grew up, he really, really stepped up to take care of his mother when his dad passed away."
Eyewitnesses reported that two men in the larger boat quickly removed it from the water and sped off following the wreck. They left in such haste that they dragged their boat's motor up the boat ramp.
Jason Clyde Delavergne, 36, and Joseph Charles Delavergne, 33, surrendered Sunday night. They were booked into the Chambers County Jail, but have since bonded out.
No one answered the door when we went to their homes attempting to get their sides of the story. The brothers are accused of failing to stop and render aid. Miller's uncle, a pastor, says his faith teaches him to not be angry with them and to try to forgive.
"You can forgive people. I'm willing to forgive," said Thrash. "They did step up and actually turn themselves in."
It's unclear of alcohol or drugs played a role in this wreck. If convicted, the two suspects face two to 10 years in prison The other victim who was hurt is still recovering but we understand he will be OK.
baytown, local, kevin quinn
- Sketch released of suspect in elderly woman assault
- Smash-and-grab suspects lead police on chase
- Photos: 7 big brands that are stuggling
- Outlet mall shoppers get Sunday scare
- Video: Why ABC-13 anchors don't wear green on St....
- Police investigating shooting in southwest Houston 13 min ago
- 'Dancing With the Stars' season 18 kicks off tonight
- Indianapolis Colts owner arrested for DWI 4 min ago
- Residents jump from windows to escape apartment fire
- Don't click on those Malaysia Airlines Facebook posts 36 min ago
- St. Patrick's Day traditions decoded
- Keep grays at bay with root touch-up products
- Teen fatally shot remembered in service in Spring
- Canada-Mexico flight makes emergency Montana stop