Boy, 5, wants to be American Motocross champion
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Lane Nalesnik is just five years old. He's from Katy and he's headed to Tennessee to ride amongst the best in the country competing in the National American Motocross Championships next month.
He's not even big enough yet to start a bike himself, but once you get Lane on the track, it's difficult to stop him.
"That's all he wants to do is ride dirt bikes," said Lane's father Nathan Nalesnik.
Lane started riding when he was just three years old, when training wheels kept him from falling. Lots of practice with dad and two years later, and now he's competing amongst kids as much as two years older than he is around the state of Texas. He's considered among the top 30 pint-sized motocross riders in the country.
Kevin Russell with M&C MX Park said, "Man, Lane is exciting. He's a competitor, man."
Those who watch him say he's a natural. When we asked Lane what's the hardest part of racing he answered simply, "Nothing."
He's naturally soft spoken and says racing comes easy for him. From the moment he suits up he appears stone faced, reserved, all business until the second the gate drops. Then the race is on.
"He is really focused," Nathan said. "He actually does this thing where he sticks his tongue out. He is really 110 percent focused."
The five-year-old from Katy just qualified to compete in nationals.
Lane's mother Alyssa Smith said, "I brag about him all the time. It's just one of those things. He's awesome."
Lane, though, is very much still a five-year-old. His favorite food is pepperoni pizza. But before a race, he says it must be a breakfast of champions -- pancakes. And with that belly full of a short stack, this small fry intends to show the big kids how it's done.
Nationals are set for July 29 through August 4 in Tennessee.
katy, local, kevin quinn
- Former Houstonian in iconic WWII photo dies 9 min ago
- Students, parents react after HISD vote
- Search for missing Malaysian jet expands
- HPD officer responding to call involved in wreck
- Pearland mom honored on 'Live with Kelly and Michael' 37 min ago
- Judge bans gang members from East Aldine Safety Zone
- College students paid to take a year off?
- HoustonRodeo 'Moves like Jagger'
- Photos: Know any of Harris County's Friday fugitives?
- Lights go out at Jones Hall, but concert-goers have a blast
- Tooth Fairy 45% more generous in 2013
- Arrest made in connection to murder of two women
- Man hit, killed while trying to cross East Freeway
- Free Stuff Friday!