18-year-old sentenced to 45 years for rape he committed when he was 15
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- An 18-year-old will now spend most of his adult life behind bars for a rape he committed when he was 15.
Schyler Hill was sentenced to 45 years in prison.
Prosecutors say Hill raped the woman in her home and threatened to kill her. But Hill's attorney, Eric Davis, believes his client's case was treated differently than most first-offender cases.
"The Acres Homes serial killer was offered 50 years on a case as a plea bargain deal and you have a first-time offender who doesn't. It strikes in me that we value victims differently," Davis said.
"Even though the crime's against us, it's truly heartbreaking to see a young person throw their lives away. Nobody wants to see this. But again, he brought this battle, we didn't. He chose this battle," said the rape victim's husband.
In court Wednesday, the judge called the rape a nightmare for every husband, father, wife, mother, brother and sister.
local, jessica willey
- Man nabbed after video shows burglar staring at baby 21 min ago
- Security guard fatally shot in SW Houston 5 min ago
- HPD aims to keep officers safe behind wheels
- One killed in west Houston wreck
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Two people inside parked car shot, one fatally 5 min ago
- Michaels confirms breach of as many as 2.6M cards 35 min ago
- Texas town recovering, year after deadly blast
- Kansas City highway shooting suspect in custody
- 12 killed, 3 missing in avalanche on Everest 14 min ago
- Prostitution sting nets 5 arrests in NW Harris County
- Chris Brown trial could start as soon as today
- Teen reunites with family after being found safe
- Woman ambushed while taking out trash