18-year-old sentenced to 45 years for rape he committed when he was 15
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- An 18-year-old will now spend most of his adult life behind bars for a rape he committed when he was 15.
Schyler Hill was sentenced to 45 years in prison.
Prosecutors say Hill raped the woman in her home and threatened to kill her. But Hill's attorney, Eric Davis, believes his client's case was treated differently than most first-offender cases.
"The Acres Homes serial killer was offered 50 years on a case as a plea bargain deal and you have a first-time offender who doesn't. It strikes in me that we value victims differently," Davis said.
"Even though the crime's against us, it's truly heartbreaking to see a young person throw their lives away. Nobody wants to see this. But again, he brought this battle, we didn't. He chose this battle," said the rape victim's husband.
In court Wednesday, the judge called the rape a nightmare for every husband, father, wife, mother, brother and sister.
local, jessica willey
- Boy, 3, drowns in apartment pool in SW Houston 38 min ago
- House party ends with one dead, 2 others injured 35 min ago
- Person of interest located in death of mail carrier
- HCSO: Sergeant killed by suspected drunk driver
- Local Marine killed in duty honored for bravery
- Tornadoes strike Kansas, Oklahoma 20 min ago
- Driver killed when SUV goes airborne
- Winner crowned at Gyro Eating Championship
- Volunteer firefighters save man from burning home
- Man found fatally shot at Motel 6 in east Houston
- Photos: Memorial Hermann Ironman triathlon
- otrc: No 'Bridesmaids' sequel for Wiig
- abcnews: 5 security tips for Facebook mobile
- Video: Huge tornado caught on camera in Kansas
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos