Houston minister shot to death during carjacking
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Family and friends say a beloved minister was murdered Saturday in northwest Harris County, and now they need the community's help to find the people who killed him.
It happened around 1:30am at the Shadow Ridge Apartments in the 12200 block of Old Walters Road in north Harris County.
Investigators identified the victim as 21-year-old Desmond Jones. He ministered and played music at several local churches and was well known in the Houston church community.
According to Harris County Sheriff's Office deputies, Jones returned to the apartment complex after making a run for fast food. As he was parking, the suspects approached him and shot him twice -- once in the head, officials said.
The suspects reportedly stole the car Jones was driving and left him bleeding on the ground. He was transported by Life Flight to Memorial Hermann Hospital where he was pronounced dead.
Jones is survived by his wife and two young daughters. They were inside their home asleep when the shooting happened. Friends and relatives tell us the wife may even heard the gunshots.
"She's hurting but she's doing well," Pastor Chris Edwards said.
A prayer vigil was held Saturday evening at the spot where he was killed. About 50 people gathered there, asking for the public's help in finding the two men behind Jones' murder.
"We're dealing with an innocent man losing his life at the hands of perpetrators who must be caught," Bishop James Dixon said.
The stolen vehicle is a silver 2012 Chrysler 300 sedan with chrome rims and Texas license plate number DS1-L815.
The suspects are described only as black males. If you spot the vehicle, consider its occupants armed and dangerous.
Anyone with information is urged to call HCSO at 713-967-5810 or Crime Stoppers at 713-222-TIPS.
- weather: Rain moving through our area
- New record set at RodeoHouston school art auction 8 min ago
- Gas station clerks shoot robbery suspect
- Helping military families, one child at a time
- Foster tweets he's been medically cleared to play
- North Loop WB at Highway 290 shut down due to lost load
- Search for missing jet now includes 25 countries
- 3 pieces of evidence point to jet's takeover
- Wrong way driver dies after slamming into students' SUV
- HISD expanding dual language program
- Comedian David Brenner, 'Tonight' favorite, dies
- Houston Ship Channel collision under investigation
- Sea survivor keeps promise he made to dead friend
- Daughter asks: Who did I bury?