Driver shot, crashes into apt. building in NE Houston
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A man with a gunshot wound to the head crashed into a northeast Houston apartment building Wednesday night, leaving a woman's apartment seriously damaged. The victim then later died at a hospital.
Gunfire, screeching, then a crash -- that's what Chantl Davis says she heard while sitting inside her northeast side apartment. Police tell us the driver got into some sort of altercation with a person in the parking lot.
"We heard the gunshots and we heard the skid," Davis recalled.
Davis is without a home, after a car slammed through the brick wall of her apartment around 10pm Wednesday.
She said, "It was just debris and the house was smoky. I thought the car was on fire."
Upstairs neighbor Timeko Dunford said, "It started smoking. It started smoking from her house up into our room."
Police say the driver, Claude Kibbie, 32, was shot in the back of the head. He stepped on the gas pedal, flooring it into the building.
"We were basically tripping over each other trying to get out of there," Davis said.
The damage is worse on the inside of the apartment. The force from the car also broke out two bedroom windows. Davis and four other family members were in the room watching TV at the time. Her daughter luckily was not in the same room.
Returning to her place to face the aftermath in daylight was even more difficult.
"I don't feel like this is my home anymore, not no more," Davis said. "I want to relocate."
Witnesses reported seeing several men running from the scene after the shots were fired. Police are still looking for the suspects involved.
The victim who was shot was taken to Memorial Hermann Hospital where he later died. Robbery is believed to be the motive.
- Couple accusing neighbor of recording their bedroom
- Bicyclist dies after Montrose-area hit-and-run
- Dr. accused of harassing woman she calls 'whore'
- Your pocket change may be worth hundreds
- Texans vs. Jags on ABC13 Thursday night
- Man, woman found shot at Pearland-area home
- Company offering big reward for return of stolen truck
- Police searching for armed robbery suspect
- Bledsoe leads Suns to 97-88 win over Rockets
- Dad on trial for infant's beating death
- Woman falls through roof, rescued by firefighters
- Man finds his brother murdered in home
- Child killed by falling tree branch
- HPD: Cop impersonator shot man during struggle