Prehistoric human remains found along Hwy 99
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Work crews clearing the land for the Grand Parkway expansion have made a surprising discovery -- human remains which are being described as 'prehistoric.' The remains were found in the stretch of land known as Grand Parkway segment E.
The Grand Parkway segment between I-10 and Highway 290 has been under construction for nearly a year. Last month, in advance of bulldozers moving in, a state archeologist working on the project found something not unexpected for those who seek out the past -- a handful of bones dating back to prehistory.
"I know it's a rare find, but knowing this area is historically occupied, they knew there was a chance of finding something, which is why they started in this whole area," explained TxDOT spokesperson Karen Ochon.
To protect it, the site is not being identified but it is said to be along Cypress Creek in the path of construction. Water is typically where communities would first form. The find consists of four pieces of bone. It's unknown if they are from one person or several.
It may be the oldest remains discovered in Harris County from 3,000 to 5,000 years old. The Gulf Coast, though, has documented the presence of ancient Native Americans.
A paleontologist from the Houston Museum of Natural Science believes there were the remains of some very early native Americans.
"The people were doing hunter/gatherer type of lifestyle, where you have a small group of people and they're moving across the landscape," explained Dr. David Temple. "They're hunting when the hunting is good. They're collecting shellfish when the season is good for that. They're just moving all up and down the Texas coast."
The bone fragments remain at the undisclosed site, awaiting approval to remove them. What the state is trying to do is have the bones exhumed and stored in a safe place, then possibly even re-interred, so that construction can continue.
local, deborah wrigley
- Six UH students reportedly robbed on campus 40 min ago
- HPD: Husband dies in attempted murder-suicide
- Local missionaries hurt in rollover wreck in Africa 34 min ago
- Law enforcement training program suspended
- 5 Things to Know for Today
- Woman who went for smoke outside found dead on porch
- Fugitive Friday: Help find suspect in sexual assault of child 4 min ago
- Astronaut may get Christmas wish for spacewalk 55 min ago
- House fire claims woman's life in NE Harris Co. 26 min ago
- Beyonce's holiday surprise
- Police: 2 people killed after Utah rock slide 30 min ago
- Free Stuff Friday: Holiday happenings this weekend
- McDonald's employee injured during attempted robbery
- Multiple people stabbed after Denver football game
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos