Mom's murder likely witnessed by young children
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A mother of two young children was brutally murdered. It was her own mother who found her -- still with her babies, who likely witnessed her murder.
Homicide detectives have charged the woman's boyfriend, Ronald Green, with murder. The woman's family members and friends say the couple had been fighting for weeks.
Monday was an emotional day around Yale Village where neighbors and family members spent hours huddled around a north Houston apartment police blocked off with crime tape. Witnesses say it's the home where Ceceilia Sanders was found murdered.
"I know she was a good parent," said neighbor Roshelle Singleton. "She always had her two children out playing with them and stuff."
Now those who knew Sanders say they want to know why someone would kill the mother of two. Detectives say the 27-year-old woman was found stabbed multiple times.
"It's crazy," Singleton said. "I'm ready to get from over here. I'm ready to get from over here."
Police say it's possible the woman's young children witnessed the murder Sunday. Her three-year-old daughter Kymora was found locked in a bedroom closet with a minor head injury. Detectives say her eight-month-old Khyaa was found crawling near Sanders' body.
Sanders' brother Ray Williams said, "The sergeant or someone came and told my mother that the babies are fine. They are being checked out and everything. So, we are just waiting to go pick them up and bring them back home."
Monday morning police announced they wanted to track down and talk to Green, since he was allegedly the last person seen with her. Neighbors told me the couple had been having some heated fights recently.
"They was fighting off and on," Singleton said. "She had literally left her house and she came back just to clean up. So, they was fighting."
Those who knew Sanders say their main focus now is her two little girls, who will now have to grow up without their mom. The children's grandmother reportedly plans to care for them for now.
Green is being held on $100,000 bond.
- Man shot outside restaurant drives family to safety
- Severe weather clears, leaves damage behind
- Houston mayor weighs in on 'Duck Dynasty' feud
- Houston couple dead in apparent murder-suicide
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- NASA astronauts complete first spacewalk
- Constable: Teen admits shooting out car windows
- Hospital: Teen shot at Colorado school dies
- Chase restricts cards affected by Target breach
- New Houston light rail line opens for business
- 1 dead, 1 injured in drive-by double shooting
- Katy blows late lead, falls to Cedar Hill in title game 51 min ago
- Allen tops Pearland 63-28, defends 5A D-I title
- Aledo beats Brenham 38-10 for 4th title in 5 years