Man dies after being hit with officer's Taser
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A suspect in HPD custody died just moments after officers shocked him with a Taser overnight.
It all happened at the Motor Lodge along the East Freeway in east Houston at around 11:35pm.
A man reportedly propped the door open of the motel and told the clerk he needed help. The clerk described the man as having 'wet hair' and 'huge eyes.' The female employee refused to come out from behind the protected area and after several attempts to find out why the male needed help, she called 911.
When HFD emergency personnel arrived on the scene, they attempted to help the man but he refused. HPD patrol officers then responded to the scene and repeatedly attempted to persuade the man to allow HFD paramedics to help him, which he again refused. At that time, officers attempted to detain the man.
Authorities say the 38-year-old male got into a struggle with officers. Officers shocked him with a Taser.
He was taken into custody and paramedics began treating him. Once the paramedics placed him on a gurney, the man again began to struggle. The man was then transported to East Houston Medical Center where he died.
The incident is under investigation.
The man's identity hasn't been released.
- Traffic headache remains near La Porte
- Plans for Astrodome's fate to be discussed
- Chrysler agrees to recall 2.7M older model Jeeps
- Officials: Homeowner fatally shoots intruder
- James helps Heat stave off elimination in Game 6
- Authorities raid alleged stash house in SE Houston
- 8 hurt, some seriously, when car jumps curb in NYC 28 min ago
- Social services worker stole from clients in SE Texas 6 min ago
- Texas Equusearch hit by criminals
- Mentally disabled mother, child held captive in Ohio 33 min ago
- Residents fire through door, killing woman
- otrc: Katy Perry opens up about divorce 31 min ago
- abcnews: 6 ways to save money this month
- Video: Two teens saved in dramatic cliff rescue