Mailman who rescued children from burning home honored by city
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A mailman who saved two children from a burning home in southwest Houston earlier this summer received a special honor at city hall Tuesday. He was delivering mail on his normal route on June 26 when he saw smoke at a home and realized that children were inside...and they were alone.
"I hereby proclaim today as Danny Thompson Day in the city of Houston," said Houston Mayor Annise Parker. "Thanks for your courageous actions."
Thompson, a reserve seven-year veteran of the postal service, was delivering mail in the 2800 block of Tidewater when he noticed smoke coming from the air-conditioning unit. He knocked on the door and spoke to a child inside. He told the child to notify an adult.
"Once I saw a little more smoke, I knocked again on the door a little more furiously," said Thompson. "And then I got the children out of there."
Two children, age 12 and 13, were saved from a fire that would destroy their home. The parents were out at the time.
What makes this story even more remarkable is that Thompson was there because he volunteered for the double shift.
"I had a co-worker off that day, so I said I would work his route along with mine," said Thompson.
And like most heroes, humility for Thompson is a glowing attribute.
"I'm just doing my job," he said. "I just feel like all carriers do special things on a daily basis. I just feel I was doing my job that day."
A quiet hero saving lives, and going above and beyond.
We're always looking for positive stories about ordinary people doing extraordinary things. If you know of such a person or people, email their story to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
local, art rascon
- Blood drive held for officer injured in crash
- New info in case of women found dead by dumpster
- 20 on missing plane worked for Austin company
- Body found after shots ring out near Greens Bayou
- Students learn science through unique course
- Collision sends HPD officer, driver to hospital
- Fire marshal: Teen burned mom's clothes over marijuana
- Person fatally falls from 6th floor of building at Texas A&M
- Thousands of bees attack woman in California
- North Houston house fire leaves one dead
- Yates comes up short in 3A title game
- Masked robbers hold up bank in west Harris County
- raw video: Sarah Palin remixes 'Green Eggs and Ham'
- Three bodies found in rubble of burned down home