Baby survives head-on collision that killed 2
HUFFMAN, TX (KTRK) -- A baby girl was the only survivor of a tragic head-on collision in northeast Harris County Thursday morning. The devastating impact completely destroyed the cabs of both pickup trucks.
Investigators are still looking into the cause of this crash. What we know right now is the only person who came out of this accident alive is a one-year-old baby girl.
At 6am on a stretch of FM 2100, Shawn Emery of Cleveland was on his way to work. His wife Sara says the 34-year-old father of three woke up late when his alarm didn't go off. But Emery never made it to work.
"The speed limit here is 50 mph," said Sgt. Susan Cotter with the Harris County Sheriff's Office. "It looks like it could possibly be a factor in the crash."
According to Harris County Sheriff's deputies, Emery's truck crossed over into oncoming traffic. He collided head-on with a Toyota Tundra. Inside the Tundra was Charles Strnadel, IV, and his one-year-old daughter Cadence.
"She was restrained in a child safety seat," Sgt. Cotter said. "She is expected to survive her injuries."
Investigators say Emery wasn't wearing his seatbelt. His wife Sara, will never know why. What she does know, she told me, is that no matter who was at fault here or why, at least two babies lost their daddies today.
Investigators say there was no evidence of alcohol in either truck.
local, sonia azad
- Violent House of Pies robbery linked to murder
- Shots fired during armored car robbery
- Neighbors upset over gun range near homes
- Four sent to hospital after gas leak at school
- Houston car thieves' wish list
- Truck slams into fast food restaurant
- Suspect arrested wearing Cookie Monster onesie
- 'Ban Bossy' campaign to empower girls to lead
- Mom accused of beating son with mop, bat 21 min ago
- More Houstonians using METRO system
- Wife charged in hubby's New Year's Eve murder
- Woman accused of preying on elderly man
- Ex-teacher accused of sex with student
- Police: Miley fan sneaked into Omaha dressing room