Rural property searched for missing woman
ROSENBERG, TX (KTRK) -- The search of a rural area north of Rosenberg for a Minnesota woman who disappeared in 2007 has concluded.
Authorities received a Crime Stoppers tip which led investigators to a rural property in the 100 block of Rustic Lane near the Brazos River where they hoped to find evidence that would reveal the woman's ultimate fate.
Investigators collected some items, but they must be analyzed to determine if they have any connection to the case.
Sarah Cruz was 35 when she disappeared. However, no one ever reported her disappearance to authorities in Texas or Minnesota.
The search of a five-acre parcel of land near the Brazos began early Thursday. Investigators completed the search at about 3pm Friday.
Authorities say two persons of interest have been connected to the case, though one has died. The other is incarcerated. The matter remains under investigation.
"We have to work under the assumption that it's a possibility she's out there and we are doing everything we can to recover her," said Bob Haenel with the Fort Bend County Sheriff's Office.
As many as 50 people were involved in the search, battling extreme heat and humidity during the two-day search with temperatures nearing 100 degrees. Terrain on the tract ranged from trees with thick underbrush to open areas as well as two ponds. Personnel worked from early Thursday morning to dusk, and started again early Friday morning.
Anyone who has knowledge about Sarah Cruz is asked to contact Fort Bend County Crime Stoppers at 281-342-TIPS or the Fort Bend County Sheriff's Office Dispatch at 281-341-4665. All calls to the Crime Stoppers TIPS line are anonymous.
- Man nabbed after video shows burglar staring at baby
- HPD aims to keep officers safe behind wheels
- One killed in west Houston wreck
- Mystery shipwrecks explored off Galveston
- Texas town recovering, year after deadly blast
- Teen reunites with family after being found safe
- Woman ambushed while taking out trash
- Michaels confirms breach of as many as 2.6M cards 33 min ago
- Kansas City highway shooting suspect in custody 55 min ago
- Prostitution sting nets 5 arrests in NW Harris County
- Chris Brown trial could start as soon as today
- Rescuers rush to reach hundreds in SKorean ferry 40 min ago
- Avalanche sweeps Everest; 6 killed, 9 missing
- Here's a reason to lock doors while pumping gas