West Nile cases now up to 8 in Houston this year
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- The Houston Health Department has confirmed the city's eighth case of the West Nile virus, with most of those reported within the last week.
The city has upped the number of cases reported on Tuesday to three. The first two were a man and a woman, both between the ages of 55 and 74, in northwest Houston. The third, and latest case, is a man between 45-54 years of age on the southwest side.
Two cases were reported last Friday, August 3 -- one in northeast Houston and one in southeast Houston.
The news comes after the city confirmed the first death from the disease last week. A man between the ages of 75 and 84 died in southwest Houston.
Prior cases were reported on July 23 in southeast Houston and on June 27 in northeast Houston.
Elsewhere in the state, 130 cases have been reported in Dallas County. Seven people there have died from the virus.
Ways to keep mosquitos at bay:
- Make sure storms drains near your home are clear of debris and any extra water.
- And at dusk and dawn-- wear long sleeves and pants if possible.
- Also, use a bug spray that contains DEET.
The city of Houston suggests making sure you're keeping mosquitos out of your home. They said in many reported cases in the past, they have found that the victims where actually bit inside their homes, rather than from being outside.
- Driver charged with murder after deadly police chase
- Sketch of rapist suspect released
- Police: W. Houston apartment fire was no accident
- I-5 bridge collapse caused by oversize load
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Man tells deputies he shot his wife 22 min ago
- HPD: Dead man found at grow house 52 min ago
- Liberty Co. jailer accused of smuggling drugs to inmates 43 min ago
- Tax break weekend in Texas for Energy Star items
- JJ Watt 'MegaWatt' shoes will soon hit store shelves
- Texas rapper indicted, controlled substance count
- Galveston leaders to meet over Ike housing story
- otrc: Brad Pitt screens 'World War Z'
- abcnews: Bars accused of serving rubbing alcohol
- Pilot captures video of volcano eruption
3 min ago
- Aftermath of 5.7-magnitude quake in...
3 min ago