Thieves targeting Humble church for copper from its AC units
HUMBLE, TX (KTRK) -- Thieves are targeting a church in Humble. They've burglarized it more than once and it appears they're only after one thing.
Three central air units worth $55,000 were gutted for the copper that thieves were intent on stealing. It happened at night on July 28. The next morning was Sunday services at St. Luke's Missionary Baptist Church, also known as The Luke.
"That's when I found out we were gonna be a little warm that morning," Pastor Timothy Sloan said.
Once was not enough for the copper thieves apparently. Three nights ago they returned, taking two more units. They timed their visit after a security guard ended his shift.
"They come back for more. No regard, no sacred regard whatsoever," said Pastor Sloan.
Lightning was about to strike a third time Wednesday night, but security ran them off before they could steal any more copper.
Throughout all this, the church has never missed a service. Attendance is said to be at an all-time high, although the building isn't at full AC power.
Doctrine teaches forgiveness for one's enemies, but it also promises justice and consequences. You see, a security guard managed to get a license plate number from the attempted theft.
"We have turned in their license plate number to local authorities and hopefully they're investigating it right now," said Pastor Sloan.
humble, local, deborah wrigley
- Amber Alert issued for missing 18-month-old child 43 min ago
- Details to be released on plans for 2017 Super Bowl 10 min ago
- OK residents come home to pick up the pieces
- Baby found in trash bag can have new parents
- UK official: London attack could be terror-related 32 min ago
- Game warden kills alligator on street in Clear Lake
- What's the farthest point from the Earth's center? 27 min ago
- Sketch released of suspect in fatal shooting in southeast Houston
- FBI: Man fatally shot in Boston bombing probe
- Autopsy ordered on Texas City inmate who died
- IRS official Lois Lerner: 'I did nothing wrong'
- otrc: No more Oscars for Seth MacFarlane
- abcnews: 5 modern day health woes, solved
- Video: OK tornado caught on cell phone
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos