Fifth Ward church falls victim to theft for third time
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Leaders of a church on the northeast side of Houston are stunned someone would steal from a place of worship. They were targeted by thieves apparently trying to make a buck off scrap metal.
It happened at Olivet Missionary Baptist Church, located in the 3100 block of Lyons Ave in the Fifth Ward. The 80-year-old church says this isn't the first time they've been targeted.
"We've had quite a bit of thievery going on here at the church," Deacon Robert Boytin said.
Pieces of the church building's wrought iron fence were recently stolen for the third time.
"We've had three separate occasions of parts of this fence being stolen," Deacon Michael Pugh said. "Last Monday night, four sections were taken."
Like many churches, there's not a lot of extra money for repairs. They estimate the cost at $3,600-3,800.
"That's a lot of money for the church," Boytin said.
They believe the crooks simply want the scrap iron. But what they want is for that thief or thieves to bring back the fence and ask for forgiveness.
"Change your way of thinking and find you a job somewhere, and take care of your business that way," Boytin said. "Stop stealing from the church. That's not the way to go."
Anyone with information on this theft is asked to call Houston police or Crime Stoppers.
local, elissa rivas
- weather: Rain showers popping up across our area 26 min ago
- Committee: 'Don't tear down the Astrodome'
- Men's restroom visitors find themselves on camera 41 min ago
- Residents on edge over string of suspicious fires
- 'Sopranos' actor James Gandolfini has died 33 min ago
- Local burger's name catches national chain's attention
- Tropical Storm Barry headed for Veracruz, Mexico
- Thieves steal bundles of metal rods from Magnolia store 57 min ago
- North Forest ISD files new request to stop annexation 55 min ago
- Equipment theft threatens Texas Equusearch's existence 58 min ago
- Last week's Houston restaurant violations
- otrc: John Mayer debuts new song
- abcnews: 6 ways to save money this month
- Video: Two teens saved in dramatic cliff rescue
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos