Harris County Pct. 1 chief explains dangers of serving eviction notices
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A deadly Brazos County shootout that was sparked by an eviction notice is an extreme example of what can go wrong in the daily dangerous duties of law enforcement.
At Harris County Pct. 1, the chief says they serve about three eviction notices a day and they say they know it can become a hostile situation quickly.
In more than 40 years in law enforcement, Pct. 1 Chief J.C. Mosier has seen it all.
"I was saddened to hear what happened today but I was not surprised," he said.
But he says it's well known in law enforcement that serving eviction notices can be dangerous, never knowing what's on the other side of the door.
"This is perhaps the most emotionally charged scene that an officer will ever walk up on. You're taking away someone's home," Mosier said.
In Pct. 1 alone, they've had a deputy shot and seen two people commit suicide as they entered a home.
And there are eight more agencies in Harris County with similar stories.
"Hey don't shoot the messenger. We're just out here doing what we're forced to do. A court order from a court saying you will go do this," Mosier said.
Mosier says they constantly try to remind deputies to keep their guard up every second.
"It's happened before and it'll happen again. Everyone has to be mentally ready for these type of events and you have to know when I walk up to that door as a deputy, anything can happen," he said.
Mosier says in a larger jurisdiction it's unusual for an actual constable to go to the home but in a smaller jurisdiction could be more common.
texas a&m, local, christine dobbyn
- Search in OK nears complettion; tornado was EF5 27 min ago
- Houston will host Super Bowl LI in 2017 7 min ago
- Alligator found between homes in Fort Bend County 33 min ago
- Child abducted walking home from school 44 min ago
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Watching line of storms to our north 38 min ago
- Katy Fire Chief indicted in Valium fraud case
- Menil Picasso vandal sentenced to 2 years
- Fight at bar ends in fatal shooting in NW Harris Co.
- Enormous python caught in Florida
- BBQ marinades that are friendly to your mouth, wallet 23 min ago
- Photos: Go back in time with these Bathing Beauties!
- otrc: No more Oscars for Seth MacFarlane
- abcnews: 'Very graphic' devastation at OK elem. school
- Salvation Army auctions feature unique items
13 min ago
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos