Man accused of attacking joggers in Galveston arrested
GALVESTON, TX (KTRK) -- Two days after two women were attacked while jogging, police say they've arrested the attacker. Galveston police put our a warning to women in the area after the attacks.
The attacks Monday morning left many women on guard.
"I was actually going to go running this morning by myself because I travel a lot and don't mind getting out and running, but when I heard that, I thought no, too dangerous," Galveston visitor Betty Troyer said.
"I think it's crazy. I mean, I run here all the time and everyone seems so nice," seawall jogger Kayleigh Pope said.
And they're thinking about ways to protect themselves.
"I carry a Taser. I have a Taser usually on me all the time," Galveston visitor Sharon Holley said.
Galveston police say the first attack happened around 5:45am as a woman jogged while listening to music. Police have identified the attacker as 24-year-old Christopher Adrian Vela.
Vela is accused of trying to pull the jogger's shorts down but she scratched him in the face before he ran away. Less than 30 minutes later, investigators believe Vela attacked another woman who escaped after striking him with a pipe.
"Yes, one of the victims did fight and do some of the recommended actions to prevent an attack -- scratch, bite, kick, scream and was able to actually assault the suspect back, so we may be able to use that as evidence in identifications," Galveston Police Chief Henry Porretto said.
The chief says they developed a person of interest pretty quickly at the scene and found Vela at his home near the scene of the attacks. Then he says further forensics and identification by the victims allowed them to go back and make an arrest Wednesday.
That brings relief to a lot of women.
"Thanks goodness he's not out there anymore," Pope said.
"Feel safer, a little safer," Troyer said.
But it's also a reminder of what can happen any time.
"Even though there's a lot of people out here, a lot of people walking up and down the beach and running, still you just never know," Holley said.
Vela is now facing two charges of attempted sexual assault. His bond has been set at $500,000. Police say he's also a possible suspect in an unrelated sexual assault case.
galveston, local, christine dobbyn
- Would-be robbery victim kills suspect at bar
- Malaysia jet may have turned back
- Blood drive held for officer injured in crash
- New info in case of women found dead by dumpster
- Ford Motor Co. leader William Clay Ford dies
- Corvette driver killed by suspected drunk driver
- Fast food restaurant held up by armed suspects
- Oops! Noise complaint leads to drug bust
- Mom confesses to killing 3 young daughters
- One killed in house fire on Houston's south side
- Jet makes emergency landing in Honolulu
- Pre-St. Pat's bash erupts into chaos
- Fire marshal: Teen burned mom's clothes over marijuana
- Yates comes up short in 3A title game