Man arrested with 65 pellets of heroin in his body
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A 47-year-old Nigerian man has been arrested and charged as a result of his alleged ingestion of 65 pellets containing approximately one kilogram of heroin, United States Attorney Kenneth Magidson announced.
According to court documents, last Friday, Sunday Okechukwu Ogbonu, a citizen of Nigeria, arrived at Bush Intercontinental Airport aboard Emirates flight 211 from Dubai, United Arab Emirates. Ogbonu's itinerary indicated he had traveled from Murtala Muhammed International Airport in Nigeria to Dubai International Airport in the United Arab Emirates seven days prior. He was scheduled to return to Nigeria, by way of Dubai, departing Houston August 25.
Ogbonu was arrested after Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officers observed questionable behavior of Ogbonu and believed him to be an internal drug courier. He gave written consent to be taken to a medical facility for an x-ray, which allegedly revealed multiple pellets containing an unknown substance completely filling his stomach and intestines. He later expelled a pellet, the contents of which field tested positive for the presence of heroin.
"This apprehension is an example of the commitment of CBP officers to disrupting alleged illegal activity that could pose a devastating threat to the American public," said Jeffrey O. Baldwin Sr., CBP director of Houston Field Operations.
Ogbonu remained under the care of medical professionals until he had passed all foreign bodies from his digestive tract and was medically discharged. A court appearance has been scheduled in Houston.
The case is being investigated by Homeland Security Investigations and CBP.
- Amber Alert issued for missing 18-month-old child 36 min ago
- Details to be released on plans for 2017 Super Bowl 3 min ago
- OK residents come home to pick up the pieces
- Baby found in trash bag can have new parents
- UK official: London attack could be terror-related 25 min ago
- Game warden kills alligator on street in Clear Lake
- What's the farthest point from the Earth's center? 20 min ago
- Sketch released of suspect in fatal shooting in southeast Houston
- FBI: Man fatally shot in Boston bombing probe
- Autopsy ordered on Texas City inmate who died
- IRS official Lois Lerner: 'I did nothing wrong'
- otrc: No more Oscars for Seth MacFarlane
- abcnews: 5 modern day health woes, solved
- Video: OK tornado caught on cell phone
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos