Man arrested with 65 pellets of heroin in his body
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A 47-year-old Nigerian man has been arrested and charged as a result of his alleged ingestion of 65 pellets containing approximately one kilogram of heroin, United States Attorney Kenneth Magidson announced.
According to court documents, last Friday, Sunday Okechukwu Ogbonu, a citizen of Nigeria, arrived at Bush Intercontinental Airport aboard Emirates flight 211 from Dubai, United Arab Emirates. Ogbonu's itinerary indicated he had traveled from Murtala Muhammed International Airport in Nigeria to Dubai International Airport in the United Arab Emirates seven days prior. He was scheduled to return to Nigeria, by way of Dubai, departing Houston August 25.
Ogbonu was arrested after Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officers observed questionable behavior of Ogbonu and believed him to be an internal drug courier. He gave written consent to be taken to a medical facility for an x-ray, which allegedly revealed multiple pellets containing an unknown substance completely filling his stomach and intestines. He later expelled a pellet, the contents of which field tested positive for the presence of heroin.
"This apprehension is an example of the commitment of CBP officers to disrupting alleged illegal activity that could pose a devastating threat to the American public," said Jeffrey O. Baldwin Sr., CBP director of Houston Field Operations.
Ogbonu remained under the care of medical professionals until he had passed all foreign bodies from his digestive tract and was medically discharged. A court appearance has been scheduled in Houston.
The case is being investigated by Homeland Security Investigations and CBP.
- Man shot while mowing lawn in N. Houston 24 min ago
- Strong earthquake shakes central, southern Mexico 4 min ago
- Security guard fatally shot in SW Houston 41 min ago
- Man allegedly seen on video during burglary charged 34 min ago
- It's Free Stuff Friday!
- Man avoids $525 fine for soda refill
- Two people inside parked car shot, one fatally
- Twin boys fight off carjacker in San Antonio
- Woman forgives son's killer at the gallows 5 min ago
- Chipotle plans first price hike in 3 years
- Use natural dyes to decorate Easter eggs
- Prosecutors seek arrest warrant for ferry captain
- Michaels confirms breach of as many as 2.6M cards
- Kansas City highway shooting suspect in custody
- Travis Herzog's midday weather forecast
34 min ago