Man arrested with 65 pellets of heroin in his body
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A 47-year-old Nigerian man has been arrested and charged as a result of his alleged ingestion of 65 pellets containing approximately one kilogram of heroin, United States Attorney Kenneth Magidson announced.
According to court documents, last Friday, Sunday Okechukwu Ogbonu, a citizen of Nigeria, arrived at Bush Intercontinental Airport aboard Emirates flight 211 from Dubai, United Arab Emirates. Ogbonu's itinerary indicated he had traveled from Murtala Muhammed International Airport in Nigeria to Dubai International Airport in the United Arab Emirates seven days prior. He was scheduled to return to Nigeria, by way of Dubai, departing Houston August 25.
Ogbonu was arrested after Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officers observed questionable behavior of Ogbonu and believed him to be an internal drug courier. He gave written consent to be taken to a medical facility for an x-ray, which allegedly revealed multiple pellets containing an unknown substance completely filling his stomach and intestines. He later expelled a pellet, the contents of which field tested positive for the presence of heroin.
"This apprehension is an example of the commitment of CBP officers to disrupting alleged illegal activity that could pose a devastating threat to the American public," said Jeffrey O. Baldwin Sr., CBP director of Houston Field Operations.
Ogbonu remained under the care of medical professionals until he had passed all foreign bodies from his digestive tract and was medically discharged. A court appearance has been scheduled in Houston.
The case is being investigated by Homeland Security Investigations and CBP.
- HPD: Dead man found at grow house
- Driver charged with murder after deadly police chase 23 min ago
- Sketch of rapist suspect released
- Police: W. Houston apartment fire was no accident
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Man tells deputies he shot his wife
- Liberty Co. jailer accused of smuggling drugs to inmates
- Tax break weekend in Texas for Energy Star items
- JJ Watt 'MegaWatt' shoes will soon hit store shelves
- Texas rapper indicted, controlled substance count
- Galveston leaders to meet over Ike housing story
- otrc: Brad Pitt screens 'World War Z'
- abcnews: Bars accused of serving rubbing alcohol
- Video: 'Captain American' car stolen from movie set
- Tim Heller's weather forecast
32 min ago
- Comic and sci fi fans get their fix at...
16 min ago